Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ok ! This statement just makes me jump with joy !!!
The findings for the first time have established IBS as a biological disorder, which can no longer be labeled psychological or �not real� by the healthcare system.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Donna,
They have known this for a while now. It is important to remember that it is still a brain gut problem though.The signal from the gut is messed up, but its in part the brain getting that signal and the way it then responds back to the gut. Its still a problem in the communication between the two. Many things influence those signals and a important very important communicator between the two is serotonin.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Eric, I always enjoy reading your input on IBS. I think you have done a lot of time consuming research. I haven't been on this board long, but even before, I felt like there was a brain/gut malfunction going on inside my body. When I was prescribed the antidepressant Pamelor in 1996, due to my husband committing suicide, I noticed a big difference in my IBS. I can't take it now because of so much weight gain. I am now on Wellbutrin, but I can't sleep good at night. At least I am not in constant tormenting pain, just sleepy all day long!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rowe thanks, yes I have spent a lot of time for sure, and I did this because I had to know what was wrong with me personally and get serious about it. Really they know this about IBS and that is there is a brain gut problem going on that causes the symptoms.I to was tired of them telling me it was in my head and now I hate that term (from drs or people) and I don't believe anymore any doctor would say that who has any knowledge about IBS and if they did I would run out the door. But if they say its is both, then they know more about what they are talking about.I am very sorry about your husband.The drug you took helped because of the serotonin connection and IBS, those drugs help to block pain signals to the brain and at the same time reduce anxiety which effects the gut feedback loop.As far as pain and IBS is concerned, I had to really learn what was causing it, because I was not really treating it effectively because I did not understand it.I hope also you can get some sleep soon, lack of sleep is a big trigger to IBS.have you been on this drug long?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Eric, I have been on Wellbutrin for almost one year. I stopped taking it April 2002 while I had major surgery. I started back in June because the IBS attacks were getting so bad, plus depression hit again. The doctor also put me on Klonopin at night time. I wake up every night, several times a night. I sure wish I could have results like you without the drugs.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rowe, I was checking to see if it was a side effect that might go away. I took prozac for a while and some side effects did not go away for me and I then stop taking it, at first it helped a lot then the side effects were not something I wanted to deal with and it was not helping me a lot and I felt dazed.I am defintely not anti drugs. I do wish however that somethings were treated without them, especially at first as there are steps I believe to take first to see if they help, but there is certainly a need for them and I won't argue with that.Out of curiousity did you try hypno or cbt or therapy at all? In combination it can be very effective for some. The first thing for me with the HT was I slept better. I too have I believe an anxiety gene and some deppression issues all my life as well, although hard to seperate it some for me from the IBS since I have had that since I can remember, but I believe I have in part a genetic depression, although mild problem.I know how hard it is with depression and anxiety ect and IBS actually is a player in this and targeting the major symptom first say depression can really help other problems.A lot of trial and error in all this and keeing the faith and hope and keeping a good attitude as much as possible even if you have to force yourself to keep it sometimes.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Since Serotonia plays a part in IBS and I have tried many if not all medications like Prozac, Effexor, Celexa, Paxil, and every other one..Wonder why it made my IBS so much worse
and the anxiety from the medicaton was horrible..I am glad it helps others because I read where many get relief...but I though I was loosing it
I guess it's like when the big brain says "Oh I can't handle this little stuff so let's just send it to the second brain" Your Gut
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/issue-1.4/metagut.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts