Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's wonderful to hear the many stories of folks under fifty going gluten free and being "cured" in weeks or months....but what about us find out we must go Gluten Free in our late fifties or sixties? How long did it take you to heal? Or haven't you completely healed after quite a long time of being GF?Thanks!Del

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I've never heard much in the way of data that indicatse age being much of a factor in healing time for Celiac disaese.There are two things that can be more of a problem for complete remission.1. Still have gluten in the diet from food additives or cross contamination. A lot of people have a lot of problems getting completely gluten free especially with cross contamination at restaurants or if other people in the house use gluten containing products. (so if you cook two pots of pasta at dinner you need separate spoons and strainers for each pot)2. A certain percentage still have some symptoms and likely have a functional GI problem along with the Celiac disease, and last numbers I saw on that it was about the same percentage of the general public that have functional GI problems. So if 10% of everyone has IBS, 10% of people with Celiac should also have IBS, that sort of thing.The studies I've seen that looked at those issues didn't seem to find they were only a problem for older people, but for all people of any age.

G

·
It's wonderful to hear the many stories of folks under fifty going gluten free and being "cured" in weeks or months....but what about us find out we must go Gluten Free in our late fifties or sixties? How long did it take you to heal? Or haven't you completely healed after quite a long time of being GF?Thanks!Del
I hope you find this encouraging. I knew a lady who was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease when she was 78 years old. It took her approx six months to feel "good" again...and she just perked right up and looked like a new person. She even got married when she was 80! I've always thought that was wonderful. This is a TRUE story... I lived in the same senior bldg with this lady!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a gluten sensitivity - which I did not know. I am in my sixities. It has been about 4 weeks since I am totally gluten free and I am starting to feel good. But you have to be vigilant. You need to check food labels for hidden sources of gluten. If you are a bread lover, which I am, you can buy gluten free bread. Most markets now sell it. The best I found is Udi's sandwich bread - tastes like real bread! There are support forum groups online which give wonderful and very helpful advice. The one I go to is Celiac.Com. Learned a lot there - and of course, I have been reading books by the grove.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.