Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, July 03:Study out of the Netherlands indicates that low levels of omega 3 fatty acids are linked to low levels of serotonin. Increase in omega 3s may increase those levels.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi overitnow -- could you please post the full name of this article, or even just the main author's name? I just looked thru the July 03 issue of AJCN and i couldn't find it listed there and i would like to read it.Thanks!kac

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I'm a firm believer in omega-3 and other essential fatty acids. It's been known for quite a while that omega-3 (e.g., certain fish, flax, and walnuts) can help people with IBS. But the link with serotonin is very interesting to me.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kac: the footnote I have says AJCN Vol 78, No 1, July 2003, pp 40-46. That should help.Carla: Omega 3s are polyunsaturated fatty acids primarily from cold water fish. Salmon is a great source; but only the wild variety. They cannot be made in sufficient amounts in our body, and are highly useful in controlling our triglycerides for maximum heart health. Like Hip Jan I had heard they were useful for diarrhea, but had no indication why until reading about this possible serotonin connection. I think you would need to adopt an Eskimo diet to get enough on a daily basis; but the supplements are cheap. I have been taking them just for the last month within a new supplement for cholesterol control and have found a new level of stool compacting. Having been controlling my d for years with flavonoids, this seems to be adding the final touch, as it were.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.