Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what I got today? Jury Summons. OMG I can't believe this. I know I can request to be excused, but how embarassing: Dear Judge, Please excuse my patient, as she cannot control her own bowels. She has between four and eight bowel movements per day, some urgently. As a matter of fact, she has had three since I started writing this note. Sincerely, Clueless Medical DoctorOh, please if any of you are praying people, say one for me tonight. I feel so humiliated. Plus the fact that I am reminded once again that I cannot participate in life like a normal human being.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was called for jury duty, I got a statement from my doctor asking them to excuse me. He stated that I had chronic stomach problems, and wouldn't be able to do it. I took it (the statement)to the court house before the date for jury selection, and I didn't have to show up for duty. Good luck!! Cat

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Empress,I had the good fortune to sit on a jury last year. We acquitted a young man of an assault charge (and all felt very good about it).When I had the hourly D, I, like you, could never have done that. There are approaches that may solve this problem for you. I was fortunate to find one. What have you tried, so far? What are you trying now? What is on your list for next month?The sooner you put a program together, the sooner you can be "overitnow," too.Hopefully, the next time one of those notices comes, you will be able to go.Mark

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi,I've had two jury summons in my life. One when I had 2 small boys and no one to watch them (just moved to new town several months before) and the second time I was in severe D mode. Both times it was fairly easy to get out of it. Especially with a dr. excuse. I did wish I could have done it. My husband found it very intertesting and he was a jury foreman one time too. But.........if your going to be severely uncomfortable you just can't help it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
overitnow- I haven't tried much, I just found this website and what this condition is all about. Going to my GI doc for the past seven years, I wasn't taken very seriously as a diarrhea patient. Maybe that is too strong. I think that my doc just ran out of ideas. When I first got sick, there were tests for parasites and other itty bitties, then the colonoscopies, celiac tests, then suggestions for food intolerances. My urgency and D was attributed to diverticulosis, which was diagnosed 6 years before the D started. I was told I didn't fit the criteria for IBS. I was told to stop dairy products (which cleared my sinuses, but left my poor digestion unaffected). I stopped eating wheat, which helped quite a bit. Anyway, fast forward to last May when, after two years of "leakage" I was diagnosed with a fistula which three docs had missed. (I am NOT a fan of medical professionals.) Perhaps if any had bothered to check it out, instead of assuming it was hemorrhoids? Just a thought. Next came the Crohn's x-rays and still nothing. My entire summer has been surgeries and sitz baths. After my last surgery, however, my doc told me it was vital that I stop the D, and I found this site and all of you good folks by searching the web for info on fiber. So to answer your question after my long rant, I have given up on antidepressants which did nothing (took different ones throughout the years, unaware that they are prescribed for this condition), am awaiting the hypnosis tapes I ordered, I am taking Caltrate purple with each meal, and experimenting with soluble fiber (insoluble is excruciating). The D is mostly gone, replaced by, as I said, four to eight mostly solids per day. And now I really do have hemorrhoids. I may not even have IBS, but judging from what I have read here, I think I do, and at least the tips offered here have given me hope for the future. Believe me, if I could go to the movies, out to dinner with my husband, shopping with my daughter, take a Sunday drive, I would gladly sit on any jury in the nation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had a jury duty call last year. I went to court. I was called to a court room after a couple of hours. Then they interview you in groups of 12 in the jury box. Once I got to the box the judge asked questions. I asked him to approach the bench, then told him I have anxiety issues and would not be able to focus on the case. Which is true. He then turned to each sides lawyer and they both said no problem and he excused me and called up the next in line. There were lots of people before me that approached the bench and were excused. I just couldn't sit there for maybe 5 days and think about using the restroom all the time, I would have been miserable. I hope I don't get called again. I would like to do it but the discomfort is not worth it. Good Luck

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh I would love to do jury duty! (maybe cos I love to get the gossip hehe) I know its scarey being in that position, but if imodium works for you then I find it works well getting through a situation like that by taking 2 in the morning, and that should block you up for most the day!Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.