Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who actually doesn't mind a colonoscopy? Don't get me wrong. I really don't want to have em, but as long as I have to...Granted, the prep is no fun, but the combination of demerol and vicadin makes for a very pleasant day afterwards. Nice and relaxing.Question - however - does this knock you out during the procedure, or is it just that the Vicadin causes you not to remember anything, so you might as well have been knocked out?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Matt-Most people get sedation, alot of places use versid with demerol or fentenyl. Versid is an amnesiac(sp) is supposed to make you very relaxed and makes you forget what happened. Most people don't feel a thing or remember to much. I get the opposite (rare) reaction to versid (it makes me extremely anxious) so I get a light general anethesia(with an anethesiologist). I wish they would bottle whatever they gave me, when I woke up (actually I was never unconscious)I loved everyone and everything and was very mellow for some time. The prep sucks and there's no way around it, I think most people don't mind the actual test as long as they are given drugs. Vicodan doesnt affect your memory I don't think. Did they give you a vicodan pill? I didn't think it came IV. My husband is an operating room nurse and he says that these days docs want the patient to have the most pleasant experience possible. Works for me

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Matt-Most people get sedation, alot of places use versid with demerol or fentenyl. Versid is an amnesiac(sp) is supposed to make you very relaxed and makes you forget what happened. Most people don't feel a thing or remember to much. I get the opposite (rare) reaction to versid (it makes me extremely anxious) so I get a light general anethesia(with an anethesiologist). I wish they would bottle whatever they gave me, when I woke up (actually I was never unconscious)I loved everyone and everything and was very mellow for some time. The prep sucks and there's no way around it, I think most people don't mind the actual test as long as they are given drugs. Vicodan doesnt affect your memory I don't think. Did they give you a vicodan pill? I didn't think it came IV. My husband is an operating room nurse and he says that these days docs want the patient to have the most pleasant experience possible. Works for me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nancy,It may have been Versid. Vicadin, Versid... they both start with a "V". <G> I do remember my doctor saying that it was an amnesiac, though, so that's probably it. I always feel pretty good coming out of it as well. In fact, I remember last time in the recovery room there were three or four of us in there all feeling pretty happy. We got to be great chums (I dimly recall, anyway), and started a farting contest :).You have to laugh, otherwise you just wanna cry sometimes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nancy,It may have been Versid. Vicadin, Versid... they both start with a "V". <G> I do remember my doctor saying that it was an amnesiac, though, so that's probably it. I always feel pretty good coming out of it as well. In fact, I remember last time in the recovery room there were three or four of us in there all feeling pretty happy. We got to be great chums (I dimly recall, anyway), and started a farting contest :).You have to laugh, otherwise you just wanna cry sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts