Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I can't take it anymore. I'm buying a bottle of milk of magnesia once a week. It used to work and not cause any side effects, but now every time I take any form of magnesium I deal with gurgling, bloating and diarrhea. I'm 20, I have been eating very healthy for 8-9 years. I have been trying to feel better for, uh, EVER! I'm always changing my diet, safe foods become bad foods and bad foods become safe, constantly changing. I eat about 10-15 servings of fruits and veggies, some egg, dairy, oats, take probiotics (good ones) and only one day a week I eat something forbidden. Recently I was taking a high percentage of probiotic for my constipation and it was working very well, but I can't afford to go through a bottle of $30 probiotic every 1-2 weeks. So I tried all my old tricks, like triphala, magnesium pills, milk of magnesia, certain foods and so fare nothing is working. I need to know if there is something that i haven't heard of that has maybe worked for you? I'm not going to put miralax into my system, I have tried Heathers Tummy Fiber, lots of flax, veggies, etc. I have spent probably 5 years of my life eating just beans and peas because that was the only thing that would make me go, everyone thought I was insane. The beans don't work for me anymore, plus since I have candida, it makes me extremely ill. I wish the magnesium didn't cause such distress, they once were my miracle pills. Options are running out, darn it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that I have tried prunes, prune juice, vitamin C, salt, senna, Pau D' arco, probably more, but I can't think. What I'm looking for is something I can take daily to make me go nice and easy. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming. Only in my dreams, what a positive attitude.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you have a lot of straining? Even if the stool consistency is OK? You may need to have the pelvic floor checked out.You may also want to consider doing a transit test (will have to lay off the laxatives including osmotics for the test).If your transit is really bad and osmotics are usually the main treatment, along with a lower residue diet as 14 days worth of fiber inside is not helpful at that point. (not sure why miralax is off your list but it is often the standard osmotic used, but it should cause the same gurgling/diarrhea as milk of magnesia because that is an effect of makin the stools too watery, but some people need to keep stuff liquid to keep it moving).If the transit is bad enough and can't be managed they do sometimes remove most of the colon. While that can ease the constipation (if the pelvic floor will let stuff out) but does risk scar tissue and pain from that so it tends to be the last resort, but it can make a difference for the right patients.You won't do miralax, would you be willing to try any of the prescription meds like Amitza (for constipation) or Zoloft (the nerves in the gut use serotonin too, and it tends to be the antidepresant most likely to have diarrhea as a side effect).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm more into natural products so no medications. I have heard horror stories with miralax, plus if it going to make me feel the same way as the milk of magnesia why buy it? I find that stress is a key part in my trouble. As a child, if I ate right I would go every day at the same time. When I started to become stressed in my early teens and often thought about suicide, is when my bowels stopped working and the bloating really became a problem. yeah there is a lot of straining, how do they test the pelvic floor? I thought that that was my problem in the past, but then decided that it didn't really fit. I will do my research on it. The other day I took milk of magnesia, but it wasn't working so I had to use a suppository and diarrhea came pouring out in minutes. That makes me think that I do have a problem with my pelvic floor. Why else wouldn't I have the urge to go when it was already that liquidy? very strange. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I looked it up online. I already practice kegel exercises because I have been suffering from uterine prolapse since I was 12, but I will now do it more often.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually if you can't relax the pelvic floor (strain like you have really hard dry stools even when the stools are soft or liquidy) they do a test to see if you can relax the pelvic floor.To retrain that they do biofeedback so you can send the right relax signal. That is different than kegels.http://www.aboutgimotility.org/site/about-...ng/pelvic-floor talks about the different kinds of tests.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts