Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if any of the sharper pencils in the box would be able to explain why IBS sufferers like myself experience the onset of symptoms when undertaking physical exercise. When this happens the symptoms take on the form of pain in the pelvic area and discomfort in the lower colon.[This message has been edited by kenny macdonald (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
What kind of exercise do you do? Does it involve your stomach muscles particularly?I wonder if exercise affects serotonin levels? I know it does with endorphins, so maybe other chemicals? Serotonin is one of the things that is involved with peristalsis. I'm really just thinking aloud here. I'm sure others can help you. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
What kind of exercise do you do? Does it involve your stomach muscles particularly?I wonder if exercise affects serotonin levels? I know it does with endorphins, so maybe other chemicals? Serotonin is one of the things that is involved with peristalsis. I'm really just thinking aloud here. I'm sure others can help you. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS[This message has been edited by wanderingstar (edited 10-06-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, SusanThanks for your reply. By exercise I simply mean, in my own case, just walking uphill, for example, or runnung up a flight of steps - as basic as that. Runnning, for me, as I have mentioned before and elsewhere, can be particularly painful.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, SusanThanks for your reply. By exercise I simply mean, in my own case, just walking uphill, for example, or runnung up a flight of steps - as basic as that. Runnning, for me, as I have mentioned before and elsewhere, can be particularly painful.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of thoughts.For me it's the bouncing. When the colon is spasmy bouncing it around causes pain.Running, in particular, may be a problem as a goodly number of people who don't have IBS if the run far enough will get diarrhea. I think I read something that a high proportion of marathoners will get diarrhea during a race. So there does seem to be something about the bouncing up and down that effects the colon.Is what your feel different than the "stitch" in your side that many people get when push themselves to hard? I know mine was. When the IBS is bad I can't walk across the house without setting off the pain.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A couple of thoughts.For me it's the bouncing. When the colon is spasmy bouncing it around causes pain.Running, in particular, may be a problem as a goodly number of people who don't have IBS if the run far enough will get diarrhea. I think I read something that a high proportion of marathoners will get diarrhea during a race. So there does seem to be something about the bouncing up and down that effects the colon.Is what your feel different than the "stitch" in your side that many people get when push themselves to hard? I know mine was. When the IBS is bad I can't walk across the house without setting off the pain.K.------------------ kmottus###aol.com�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi kmottusYes, the pain and discomfort that I feel is quite different to getting a stitch. It is (1) a feeling of dicomfort in the lower colon, as if I wanted to visit the bathroom and (2) pain in the pubic area ( more than that I cannot say without having to pop along to the Adult Meeting Place! - I'm a very reserved Scotsman, by the way!)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi kmottusYes, the pain and discomfort that I feel is quite different to getting a stitch. It is (1) a feeling of dicomfort in the lower colon, as if I wanted to visit the bathroom and (2) pain in the pubic area ( more than that I cannot say without having to pop along to the Adult Meeting Place! - I'm a very reserved Scotsman, by the way!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.