Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dicovered that one of the missing threads is one that could be helpful to all who are interested. This is your chance to talk back anonymously to psychologists but apparently eric didn't understand what I was asking for. I'm developing a course for psychologists who want to work with IBS patients and I'm asking what you think should be included to give them or us some idea what IBS is. I'm not going to hold it against you or argue or remove the thread.tom

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
ok, I'll bite
Hope I understand what you're looking for (you might also want to change the topic as others who might contribute might not look in).I think anyone treating IBS needs to go know that there seems to be no such thing as typical IBS. You know the drill - different symptoms, different causes, different patterns, etc. I also think as a therapist it would be important to keep in mind that the anxiety that is often a partner to IBS can be a chicken and egg thing. Did someone start out anxiety prone and develop IBS because of it (or more accurately trigger its reaction)? Or did the constant worry abot when an attack might occur cause the anxiety. Or a bit of both - in my case, I am prone to having physical reactions to stress but I know that a lot of the anxiety I get is due to past situations of problems/close calls.this is where I at least would start.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've been to that support group a couple of times but my schedule with all my volunteer commitments don't allow me anymore.and it's not eric's support group although he certainly has been instrumental/helpful in a lot of it. it's actually run by a GI doc series. I was there for one of eric's talk on ways to deal with IBS (he talked aboiut a number of different avenues BTW, not just hypno). another one was on yoga and presented by a yoga teacher.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, Nancy for the insights. I also want to add I've been approached by two psychologists who have been approached by GI docs for help so it's probably going to be more common. I think part of the problem is GI docs aren't trained in the area and are uncomfortable with the subject.tom

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Tom, So you know and you can believe it or not, I did not purposely get rid of that thread, it may have been accendently deleted when I deleted the other thread, but I had no problem with that thread what so ever, so I am as surprize as you that it is missing.Kel I contacted and started that group and do not live close to there and since then they have taken it over, but I still go once in a while and am still a guest speaker.

G

·
I am very glad that Tom's original thread about this was not deleted intentionally. Tom... I think that it is incredibly important that any psychologist attempting to work with a patient with IBS understand the very critical link among thoughts, emotions and symptoms. The link is monumentally clear to me.In my opinion, based on my own experiences, it is also monumentally critical that the psychologist understand the potential for the Affective Spectrum to be at play. Unless this is understood, the psychologist may treat the patient as purely a "psyche case"... when there may be physiological influences to their behavior as well. This needs to be taken into account. Trust me, I know whereof I speak... and I know that you are personally aware of the particular circumstance to which I am referring and which prompted this suggestion.Evie

G

·
Nope.... while she was a social worker, Pat was also a psychotherapist with lots of experience dealing with depression, anxiety, borderlines and drug abuse, Tom.And I've seen psychologists as well a psychiatrists before... and every one of them totally missed my diagnosis.

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess there's more confusion on this in the general public than I thought. In general, psychologists are trained to adminster and interpret psychological tests and social workers are not. Psychiatrists are medical doctors and generally don't have the background in psychology that psychologists and social workers do. I think in most states social workers can't independently diagnose. Psychotherapist is basically just a generic term that means somebody who does therapy. With appropriate training psychologists can do hypnotherapy in most states. Mike I think is a psychologist but may not be able to use the title legally as I think he only has a masters degree. I realize its confusing. It's unreasonable to criticize a profession since some members missed a diagnosis but you should know that your particular diagnosis was only recognized a couple of years ago.tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.