Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So, I've been a member here a while. And overall, my management has gone well. On a day to day basis I can function as long as I follow a strict diet and take immodium, and in no way do I think I am the worst off person here.

I just have one set back. Every few weeks, sometimes more often, sometimes less,, for no reason that I can find (no unusual food, no anxiety, nothing at all done different to normal...) I will get very sudden D. It's similar to what I imagine food poisoning to be like, as in I get about 5 minutes notice that I feel a bit ill but wont have to go, then I get about a minutes notice before I HAVE to be at a toilet. I can be perfectly fine beforehand. It rarely happens just after eating, usually a few hours later, and usually at night. Only thing it seems to have in common is that it is usually after my night time cup of tea, but I have that every night with no problems generally. After I go I generally feel very sick and shaky, but don't normally have to go again (sometimes I pop an extra immodium, usually I just go to sleep and try to sleep it off).

This random event just sets me back so much. I keep making so much progress,for example I recently went on holiday and at out regularly for the first time in a long time, went on long drives, been going to parties etc. But then this happens again, and as it has such short notice, and I have a huge fear of public toilets, it terrifies me. What if it happens when I am in the car near no toilets? What if it happens while I am out in town?

My family and friends have finally (mostly) come to understand my problems in general, and understand I have to follow a strict diet and may need to make toilet stops on a drive. But they generally think that as long as I don't eat certain foods I will be fine and never see this happen, so they don't understand why I am so scared of eating/going out.

This is partly just a rant. And as I said, I understand others go through this every day and I am not the worst off. But does anyone have any advice? Any ideas to the trigger? It is so horrible to finally feel back in control and then have this happen again to ruin it all.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I suspect that ibs d is,in a few cases,linked to inflammation and this means that there are no real warning signs and your body can just go off from time to time.
This is why some ibsers respond to anti inflammatory drugs used for ibds.
I would always recommend ibsers try mesalamine to see if it helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it connected to your period? My IBS symptoms suddenly spike just before that time of the month comes round. That's the only thing I can think of...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the same thing, no warning, just sudden and for no apparent reason. Even when taking imodium regularly. Feel the same, worried that it will happen when I'm on a car journey or out on a walk. Doctor has no suggestions for how to solve other than take imodium!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have this occasionally (I had it today), and 3 imodium quieted it down. The best thing for me (not that I have regular access to it) is codeine with acetaminophen. I had an abcessed tooth recently, and the codeine gave me peace ALL over my body. I think my problem is mostly anxiety related because my husband is going through cancer treatment.

·
Registered
894 Posts
for anxiety, there are herbal things you can try that won't be expensive----do a search for l-theanine, I take one and 10 minutes later get a wave of relaxation. Or 50htp. Some of these things I take for insomnia, but in lower doses it relaxes you, some people even get off meds for anxiety when using these

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've had ibs for over 20 years & a lot of mine I know is anxiety led , trouble is I'm a very anxious person ! I too have this problem of once every week lately when I'm so relaxed suddenly u just know u have 2 dash 2 the loo, & also I seem 2 get it lately that I'll b fast asleep, wake up, then have 2 dash 2 loo, & keep going all night like its a bug, although fine in the morning ?

·
Registered
894 Posts
What is up with that going during the night? Me too, so annoying. All the drs think your entire system sleeps at night. Not mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts