Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I would like as many opinions as you guys are willing to offer me on how fiber works or does not work for you while living with IBS. I was just diagnosed with IBS and have probably had it for almost a year now. My gastro DR says that I probably got it from stomach surgery I had in April of 2001. Almost every med I have tried really has not worked. So if you dont mind please share with me what works for you like the type of fiber you used to help you with IBS along with any other advice you are willing to offer. Thank you in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*****Sorry forgot to include my symptoms which basically I suffer them all***I have D all the time along with C plus a upset burning stomach (which I had hiatle hernia surgery along with them fixing some other things and I still have a minor amount of acid it is just not as severe as before)!!!! Oh I am so blessed!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*****Sorry forgot to include my symptoms which basically I suffer them all***I have D all the time along with C plus a upset burning stomach (which I had hiatle hernia surgery along with them fixing some other things and I still have a minor amount of acid it is just not as severe as before)!!!! Oh I am so blessed!!!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You're going to get a lot of mixed opinions here, I bet. The reason being that there are lots of different flavors of IBS. Some people only have D, some only C, some alternate, etc.Like you, I alternate between C and D (I think that's what you meant). So I know that if I can stay regular, I have a much better chance of not getting D. So fiber does help some. I use Citrucel in the pills. Easy to take. But I also admit that when I'm in a bad period of D daily, I skip the fiber since it seem to aggrevate it. I also use calcium and up this when getting daily D. When I'm doing OK, I generally take the fiber at night plsu a calcium/magnesium supplement twice a day. Does OK, but still working on the rigth balance.I also know that stress can cause problems for me - in fact, that is often what throws me off in the first place. So I started the hypnotherapy program for IBS. Too early to tell if its working, but I have hope it will. nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You're going to get a lot of mixed opinions here, I bet. The reason being that there are lots of different flavors of IBS. Some people only have D, some only C, some alternate, etc.Like you, I alternate between C and D (I think that's what you meant). So I know that if I can stay regular, I have a much better chance of not getting D. So fiber does help some. I use Citrucel in the pills. Easy to take. But I also admit that when I'm in a bad period of D daily, I skip the fiber since it seem to aggrevate it. I also use calcium and up this when getting daily D. When I'm doing OK, I generally take the fiber at night plsu a calcium/magnesium supplement twice a day. Does OK, but still working on the rigth balance.I also know that stress can cause problems for me - in fact, that is often what throws me off in the first place. So I started the hypnotherapy program for IBS. Too early to tell if its working, but I have hope it will. nancy

·
Registered
140 Posts
I seem to be getting better now. I acknowledged the high fibre thing about a year ago but found I really had to make fibre part of my overall diet as well as intriducing a high fiber source.I am never really D, mostly loose and many over the course of the day. C once in awhile, but me C is what I would consider normal and it really only lasts a day or two.What I do....Try to sub anything you eat with a whole wheat equivelent (bread, pasta rice). I eat 4-6 slices of bread a day so making these 100% whole whaet gives me an 6-8gms of fibre a day.I added a serving of oatmeal(or baked beans if you can handle them) to every breakfastTry to eat more fruits and veggies. This is a good thing overall anyway. I have to watch the fruit because sometimes some fruits can set me off, don't know which one and why...bananas are the only sure bet. Cooked for the vegetabale is usually better then raw. Brocolli, aspaagras, carrot, green beans, salads with romaine or mixed greens (iceburg lettuce is a killer for many, myself included).In the evening I will usually have a bowl of bran cereal (if you can get President's Choice Fibre first in the States it is much more paletteable then the Kellogs version)with some other cereal.So by the end of the day I have pretty much had my 25-30 grms.I didn't find this did anything to help or hinder me for a long time and then I put this all toghether with a firm diagnosis which set my mind at ease (all the nice tests), more exercise, really watch the fat in the diet, immodium handly from troubled times (actually I am really starting to discover that I can be OK for a week or two, have a bit of an attack at the end, take one Imodium the morning of the second day of the attck and it seems to set me right again???), and now despite being remined that I do have IBS on occasion I am doing much better and I seem to be able to overcome the attacks a little better now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I seem to be getting better now. I acknowledged the high fibre thing about a year ago but found I really had to make fibre part of my overall diet as well as intriducing a high fiber source.I am never really D, mostly loose and many over the course of the day. C once in awhile, but me C is what I would consider normal and it really only lasts a day or two.What I do....Try to sub anything you eat with a whole wheat equivelent (bread, pasta rice). I eat 4-6 slices of bread a day so making these 100% whole whaet gives me an 6-8gms of fibre a day.I added a serving of oatmeal(or baked beans if you can handle them) to every breakfastTry to eat more fruits and veggies. This is a good thing overall anyway. I have to watch the fruit because sometimes some fruits can set me off, don't know which one and why...bananas are the only sure bet. Cooked for the vegetabale is usually better then raw. Brocolli, aspaagras, carrot, green beans, salads with romaine or mixed greens (iceburg lettuce is a killer for many, myself included).In the evening I will usually have a bowl of bran cereal (if you can get President's Choice Fibre first in the States it is much more paletteable then the Kellogs version)with some other cereal.So by the end of the day I have pretty much had my 25-30 grms.I didn't find this did anything to help or hinder me for a long time and then I put this all toghether with a firm diagnosis which set my mind at ease (all the nice tests), more exercise, really watch the fat in the diet, immodium handly from troubled times (actually I am really starting to discover that I can be OK for a week or two, have a bit of an attack at the end, take one Imodium the morning of the second day of the attck and it seems to set me right again???), and now despite being remined that I do have IBS on occasion I am doing much better and I seem to be able to overcome the attacks a little better now.

G

·
My diet is such as to give me sufficient natural fibre without having to resort to medications. For breakfast I have rolled oats with fruit & natural yoghurt & a couple of pieces of wholemeal bread. Sometimes I may add a little all-bran which is wheat bran but too much creates a problem for me. During the day I have at least two pieces of fresh fruit such as a peach, pear or an apple. For lunch a wholemeal salad sandwich & in the evening just a normal meal with variety of vegetables. I try not to have any fried foods & stay right away from junk food. And very importantly, 6 to 8 glasses of water each day. http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm is an excellent website for advice on fibre.

G

·
My diet is such as to give me sufficient natural fibre without having to resort to medications. For breakfast I have rolled oats with fruit & natural yoghurt & a couple of pieces of wholemeal bread. Sometimes I may add a little all-bran which is wheat bran but too much creates a problem for me. During the day I have at least two pieces of fresh fruit such as a peach, pear or an apple. For lunch a wholemeal salad sandwich & in the evening just a normal meal with variety of vegetables. I try not to have any fried foods & stay right away from junk food. And very importantly, 6 to 8 glasses of water each day. http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm is an excellent website for advice on fibre.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get mostly C, with occasional D. Fiber usually works wonders for me. I used to take Citrucel, but I cannot take it to work with me though because it is liquid, although now they also have pills. But I use FIber CHoice, it is a chewable pill and you do not need to take it with water, but it is always better to drink a full glass of water with a fiber supplement because that helps also. I also take probiotics (Culturelle), which seem to work well, and they also work excellent if you need an antibiotic for any reason. Also, exercise and yoga/meditation can relieve symptoms or frequency of symptoms as they relax you more. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get mostly C, with occasional D. Fiber usually works wonders for me. I used to take Citrucel, but I cannot take it to work with me though because it is liquid, although now they also have pills. But I use FIber CHoice, it is a chewable pill and you do not need to take it with water, but it is always better to drink a full glass of water with a fiber supplement because that helps also. I also take probiotics (Culturelle), which seem to work well, and they also work excellent if you need an antibiotic for any reason. Also, exercise and yoga/meditation can relieve symptoms or frequency of symptoms as they relax you more. Good luck!!!

·
Banned
364 Posts
I have the D type most of the time...VERY occasionally I get C [especially if I've had to hit the lomotil pretty heavy during a particularly horrendous bout]. For a period of about 3 months now, I have been taking two chewable fiber choice tablets a day. I like the taste, [I cannot do the liquid fibers, the textures does the old taste buds in!]. I try to remember to take them each night before going to bed. I too eat oatmeal about 4-5 mornings a week, and am trying to figure out what raw fruits I can abide. I am also going to give the calcium thing a try. I have had IBD for about 15 years. Good Luck, and remember... just because today may not be your best day, tomorrow CAN be. Don't let this stop you from enjoying all the happy positives life has to offer!Karen

·
Banned
364 Posts
I have the D type most of the time...VERY occasionally I get C [especially if I've had to hit the lomotil pretty heavy during a particularly horrendous bout]. For a period of about 3 months now, I have been taking two chewable fiber choice tablets a day. I like the taste, [I cannot do the liquid fibers, the textures does the old taste buds in!]. I try to remember to take them each night before going to bed. I too eat oatmeal about 4-5 mornings a week, and am trying to figure out what raw fruits I can abide. I am also going to give the calcium thing a try. I have had IBD for about 15 years. Good Luck, and remember... just because today may not be your best day, tomorrow CAN be. Don't let this stop you from enjoying all the happy positives life has to offer!Karen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.