Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I spoke to Kathleen yesterday and have a question. I have Calcium Magnesium Citrate (Liquid). It is 600mg. calcium and 300 mg. of Magnesium. Is this an acceptable osmotic and will the calcium cause constipation? How much is a good starting dose? Isn't this the same as old fashioned Milk of Magnesia?Also, what does Miralax do? Thanks,Art Lady

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Calcium constipates and magnesium loosen stools and usually that 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium is close to balancing the effects. At least for the average person (and a lot of people aren't average but I wouldn't use this as an osmotic laxative, this is also a good proportion for dietary supplementation, bone strength).Milk of Magnesia is a classic osmotic laxative, and usually that is lik 1200 mgs of magnesium for the lowest recommended dose. That may be more than you want to take on a daily basis and sometimes the magnesium sold as a dietary supplement is just easier to dose in smaller amounts.Miralax is also an osmotic laxative, and you don't have to worry about the max dose. Magnesium has a recommended daily maximum (so when taking every day) of 1000 mgs. Most people's kidneys can clear that much every day (with a pretty wide margin of safety). If you do more than your body can handle (like if you have kidney disease) you can throw off your heart rhythm when the magnesium builds up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.