Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried over the counter belladonna from health food store for pain/spasms? I know that you can get Rx Donnatal but I would rather try the OTC than have to BEG my doctor for it. I know it can be dangerous if used incorrectly, but frankly at this point, I would try POISON if I thought it would help!!! Any info such as dosage, effectiveness, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'm not sure, but at least some of the "belladonna" being sold is Homeopathic. This lowers the risks as there is virtually no belladonna in them (or no belladonna in them).My recommendation TRY PEPPERMINT!!!!It is an antispasmodic, doesn't have potentially dangerous alkaloids in it and works pretty well for many people.If it doesn't work for you, spasms may not be the problem and then taking belladonna may not be any more helpful.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'm not sure, but at least some of the "belladonna" being sold is Homeopathic. This lowers the risks as there is virtually no belladonna in them (or no belladonna in them).My recommendation TRY PEPPERMINT!!!!It is an antispasmodic, doesn't have potentially dangerous alkaloids in it and works pretty well for many people.If it doesn't work for you, spasms may not be the problem and then taking belladonna may not be any more helpful.K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.