Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a series of tests to try to get to the bottom of what's causing problems for me. Learned that in addition to having a healthy gall bladder, I have a hiatal hernia, mild reflux and possible peptic esophagitis. I can't get in to see my GI for 3 weeks, but understand that these are all things that can be managed. I'm wondering now if these conditions are related to my IBS (C and bloating main symptoms) or it is common for these sorts of things to occur with IBS?I'd really appreciate hearing comments from anyone with experiences in this. I deal with this stuff a lot better when I have more information, and this board has so much good info! Please, no comment from Flux. I can't deal withany negative input now.Thanks!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LML:Agreed that what K says, and it is supported by the literature. Most of the comorbidities directly associated with IBS are other things.Now that is not to say that a pesrson with a hiatal hernia is not going to suffer more problems with their hiatus hernia if they are a c-type than a person with normal bowel function will...re: when yoyu have to strain to BM, and rasie the intra-abdminal pressure chronically to "go", this can only provide more mechanical stimulus to a herniation of that type as the organs are squeezed against the diaphragm.Whether this would also aggravte the reflux and thus the peptic esphagitis seems plausible. It would seem prudent to keep from aggrvating those conditions to find a solution with your c-IBS to keep you from having to strain at BM's as much as possible.Causal, no, but an annoying aggravant, I think yes.(PS....just so you know I am not guessing my late father was one with the eact same conditions and was prone to c....just add diverticulosis to his problems....he eventually ha d aprtial resection for the diverticulaois but elected not to have the surgery for the hernia, dueto the high probability of recurrence. So they managed the hernia medically and dietarily). Also, no, the fact of him being "late" had nothing to do with these problems either...he developed Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and it eventually got the better of him. This also had no relation to the conditions you have. he had a lot of bad luck healthwise.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LML:Agreed that what K says, and it is supported by the literature. Most of the comorbidities directly associated with IBS are other things.Now that is not to say that a pesrson with a hiatal hernia is not going to suffer more problems with their hiatus hernia if they are a c-type than a person with normal bowel function will...re: when yoyu have to strain to BM, and rasie the intra-abdminal pressure chronically to "go", this can only provide more mechanical stimulus to a herniation of that type as the organs are squeezed against the diaphragm.Whether this would also aggravte the reflux and thus the peptic esphagitis seems plausible. It would seem prudent to keep from aggrvating those conditions to find a solution with your c-IBS to keep you from having to strain at BM's as much as possible.Causal, no, but an annoying aggravant, I think yes.(PS....just so you know I am not guessing my late father was one with the eact same conditions and was prone to c....just add diverticulosis to his problems....he eventually ha d aprtial resection for the diverticulaois but elected not to have the surgery for the hernia, dueto the high probability of recurrence. So they managed the hernia medically and dietarily). Also, no, the fact of him being "late" had nothing to do with these problems either...he developed Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and it eventually got the better of him. This also had no relation to the conditions you have. he had a lot of bad luck healthwise.MNL

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
LmL, I cannot get innto medscape for some reason, but there are some articles in there on what your talking about.If I remember correctly I think there was a conection between the hiatal hernia and upper throat problems, but you would have to find the artilces to be sure.Sorry to hear your having other difficulties and hope you can get it sorted.These things can occur with IBS so you know.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
LmL, I cannot get innto medscape for some reason, but there are some articles in there on what your talking about.If I remember correctly I think there was a conection between the hiatal hernia and upper throat problems, but you would have to find the artilces to be sure.Sorry to hear your having other difficulties and hope you can get it sorted.These things can occur with IBS so you know.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There isn't much for me to add really. Agree with the above.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There isn't much for me to add really. Agree with the above.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, for your input. It gets pretty discouraging to think I was finally getting a handle on figuring out how to deal with my IBS issues, or at least accept them, and then this upper GI stuff began. Good advice, Mike, to try to find a way to not strain and further irritate the hiatal hernia. I guess I'll have to continue to take a lot of magnesium daily, since that's about the only thing I've found to help the C. My internist didn't show any concern when I told her I was taking between 600 and 1000 mg daily as needed. Eric, I'll see if I can find anything in Medscape about the connection you mentioned.I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this stuff isn't related. It does help to know I'm not alone with these issues though. Thanks again for being there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, for your input. It gets pretty discouraging to think I was finally getting a handle on figuring out how to deal with my IBS issues, or at least accept them, and then this upper GI stuff began. Good advice, Mike, to try to find a way to not strain and further irritate the hiatal hernia. I guess I'll have to continue to take a lot of magnesium daily, since that's about the only thing I've found to help the C. My internist didn't show any concern when I told her I was taking between 600 and 1000 mg daily as needed. Eric, I'll see if I can find anything in Medscape about the connection you mentioned.I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this stuff isn't related. It does help to know I'm not alone with these issues though. Thanks again for being there.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LML: ________________________________________"Mike, to try to find a way to not strain and further irritate the hiatal hernia. I guess I'll have to continue to take a lot of magnesium daily, since that's about the only thing I've found to help the C" _________________________________________Do you have any idea how much soluble and insoluble fiber you ingest each day, and from what sources? One of the most common areas of undereducation among us Americans regarding our diet is how to get get enough solubkle and insolble fiber naturally in our diet, and hiow to tell if it is bothering us and which source bothers us, so we can switch to another source.Probably oneof the things people leave until last, simply becasue we have not really been taught by anybody, is how to healthfully and naturally increase the fiber content of our daily diet.Like how many fruits do you eat a day and what kinds? Do you eat much of what mom called "roughage"? Do you drink a lot fruit juice from real fruitsd, as opposed to the totally BS fruit juice that they sell us which is 10% fruit juice, 0% fiber content, and 90% corn syreup sweeteners and water? How about breakfast? White toast with our eggies or maybe banana bran or apple bran mufins...gee there are all knds of really pleasant ways of acquiring a habit of cranking up the fiber in our diet pleasantly and throughout the day, which can help with this.This is how I got BabyNL from what looked like wa going to be a quicklt developing case of C-type IBS to normal bowel function with diet. I let her be seen by all (4) pediatricians in the practice, with only my wife there not me, to see what they would advise on their own..."kids get constipated....give her (4 different laxative regimens)...and "kids expressions of pain are suaully exaggerated...[yeah her scraming in aginy after not making a BM for a week and being terrified then to make one thus worsening the problem was all just a normal thing....but thats another story].Anyway, almost any authoritative book on healthy eating froma normal, non wacko dietician (RD) will give you good guidelines on how to use fiber to help move things along.Just something to think about. If you already have, sorry "never mind".
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNLPSWhile you are working on it, a lubricant added to the diet, mineral oil, in split doses throughout the day as this is better tolerated than the old "take a big tablespoon" is pretty benign and will help even the difficult to pass, pass with less diffuclty...this should be viewed as a temp measure while working on finding the right fiber combos in the diet which make it easier to pass. Keep it in the fridge, make it real cold, put it in a sweet fruit juice oiver ice and shake like crazy then drink before the juice and oil separate, drizzel some on ice cream if you tolerate ice cream, mush it all up like some DQ slop...never notice it...just a few little tricks that have used with patients before.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LML: ________________________________________"Mike, to try to find a way to not strain and further irritate the hiatal hernia. I guess I'll have to continue to take a lot of magnesium daily, since that's about the only thing I've found to help the C" _________________________________________Do you have any idea how much soluble and insoluble fiber you ingest each day, and from what sources? One of the most common areas of undereducation among us Americans regarding our diet is how to get get enough solubkle and insolble fiber naturally in our diet, and hiow to tell if it is bothering us and which source bothers us, so we can switch to another source.Probably oneof the things people leave until last, simply becasue we have not really been taught by anybody, is how to healthfully and naturally increase the fiber content of our daily diet.Like how many fruits do you eat a day and what kinds? Do you eat much of what mom called "roughage"? Do you drink a lot fruit juice from real fruitsd, as opposed to the totally BS fruit juice that they sell us which is 10% fruit juice, 0% fiber content, and 90% corn syreup sweeteners and water? How about breakfast? White toast with our eggies or maybe banana bran or apple bran mufins...gee there are all knds of really pleasant ways of acquiring a habit of cranking up the fiber in our diet pleasantly and throughout the day, which can help with this.This is how I got BabyNL from what looked like wa going to be a quicklt developing case of C-type IBS to normal bowel function with diet. I let her be seen by all (4) pediatricians in the practice, with only my wife there not me, to see what they would advise on their own..."kids get constipated....give her (4 different laxative regimens)...and "kids expressions of pain are suaully exaggerated...[yeah her scraming in aginy after not making a BM for a week and being terrified then to make one thus worsening the problem was all just a normal thing....but thats another story].Anyway, almost any authoritative book on healthy eating froma normal, non wacko dietician (RD) will give you good guidelines on how to use fiber to help move things along.Just something to think about. If you already have, sorry "never mind".
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNLPSWhile you are working on it, a lubricant added to the diet, mineral oil, in split doses throughout the day as this is better tolerated than the old "take a big tablespoon" is pretty benign and will help even the difficult to pass, pass with less diffuclty...this should be viewed as a temp measure while working on finding the right fiber combos in the diet which make it easier to pass. Keep it in the fridge, make it real cold, put it in a sweet fruit juice oiver ice and shake like crazy then drink before the juice and oil separate, drizzel some on ice cream if you tolerate ice cream, mush it all up like some DQ slop...never notice it...just a few little tricks that have used with patients before.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Mike, for your suggestions. I do eat a good diet with lots of roughage, little or no processed foods, lots of fresh vegetables andfruit. Salad dressings of mostly good olive oil and a bit of lemon juice. I'm cutting way back on even decafinated coffee and wine. Chocolate I can live without, but giving up all the highly spiced Thai, Chinese and Indian food I love is the hardest. I do love to cook too, but my dear husband said we'll just work together to prepare interesting flavorful meals without those things that might be best for me to leave alone for now. Hey, if it can help me feel better, it will be worth it!Thanks again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Mike, for your suggestions. I do eat a good diet with lots of roughage, little or no processed foods, lots of fresh vegetables andfruit. Salad dressings of mostly good olive oil and a bit of lemon juice. I'm cutting way back on even decafinated coffee and wine. Chocolate I can live without, but giving up all the highly spiced Thai, Chinese and Indian food I love is the hardest. I do love to cook too, but my dear husband said we'll just work together to prepare interesting flavorful meals without those things that might be best for me to leave alone for now. Hey, if it can help me feel better, it will be worth it!Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LMLPSAnother thing that helps is if you eat flesh foods...don't use steaks and chops, but grind the hell out of it and make patteis...and a wise man once said to chew 16 times before swallowing for reasons that are too obvious to mention.If you get sick of eating patties (I eat no whole flesh foods except chicken or turkey or fish as they are very soft and easier to break down...anything else is ground up OR CROCK POT the sucker to death so it is soft soft soft...breakup the fibers that are hard to break up).Hey just chew a piece of steak or pork chop, but don't swallow it until it "disappears" you know like a potatoe would in your mouth...notice it never disappears? that is not an easy object to break down.Thats harder to digest and can contribute to C. Just somtheing else I added to StepahnieNLs diet as a strategy too....she is the same...not fillets except fish, no chops but the meat is all ground up into little bits....what kid ver chews her food enough?
MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
LMLPSAnother thing that helps is if you eat flesh foods...don't use steaks and chops, but grind the hell out of it and make patteis...and a wise man once said to chew 16 times before swallowing for reasons that are too obvious to mention.If you get sick of eating patties (I eat no whole flesh foods except chicken or turkey or fish as they are very soft and easier to break down...anything else is ground up OR CROCK POT the sucker to death so it is soft soft soft...breakup the fibers that are hard to break up).Hey just chew a piece of steak or pork chop, but don't swallow it until it "disappears" you know like a potatoe would in your mouth...notice it never disappears? that is not an easy object to break down.Thats harder to digest and can contribute to C. Just somtheing else I added to StepahnieNLs diet as a strategy too....she is the same...not fillets except fish, no chops but the meat is all ground up into little bits....what kid ver chews her food enough?
MNL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.