Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious how many of you have other health ailments with your IBS?I have psoriasis,chronic fatigue, anxiety and depression.Sometimes I just feel so overwhelmed by dealing with all of these different issues. It seems like mine have been going strong for the last 10 years and I have had no remission. Did any of yours go into remission?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Cardiovascular issues, aging problems (arthritis, enlarging prostate), energy levels. I have addressed all of these, along with my GI issues, with aggressive supplementation only. I am now augmenting this with Yin Yoga and some acupuncture. My erstwhile anxiety and depressive problems were generally related to the D and GERD. With the removal of those problems, mental issues also disappeared. These improvements have held, and in many cases continued to improve, for over 10 years.Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cardiovascular issues, aging problems (arthritis, enlarging prostate), energy levels. I have addressed all of these, along with my GI issues, with aggressive supplementation only. I am now augmenting this with Yin Yoga and some acupuncture. My erstwhile anxiety and depressive problems were generally related to the D and GERD. With the removal of those problems, mental issues also disappeared. These improvements have held, and in many cases continued to improve, for over 10 years.Mark
Mark,Is it the Provex CV that you used? Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Mark,Is it the Provex CV that you used? Any other recommendations?
The Provex CV stops the GI issues as well as keeping the plaque from further deposits; but I now use a full range of Melaleuca's supplements, including a plant phytosterol/omega 3 combo aimed at reducing cholesterol and triglycerides with all of the other benefits these can bring, and an excellent glucosamine mixture that has eliminated a hip arthritic condition that used to keep me from walking more than an hour at a time. Lastly, their vitamin mineral combo stopped me from literally falling asleep behind the wheel, which I had been fighting for a couple of years. I know it all sounds like an ad; but it really has turned my health around from the vicious to virtuous circle. Where I once sat in my room wondering how much longer I could take it, I have replaced that with a pretty free, active, and optimistic life; and I really want to now explore where yoga will take me, both physically and spiritually. I have to figure if this approach worked for an old reprobate like me, it ought to work for others.Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, I have ibs, acid reflux/gerd, thyroid issues, now resolved by removing a goiter, heart trouble, anxiety, slight panic disorder, lactose intolerance, sinus/allergy problems, i also have an auto immune disorder...so i am wondering the same thing, does all this relate somehow? And why do i have SO much wrong with me...makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I deal with acid reflux type symptoms from time to time. I dealt with an acute(if you can call 3-months 'acute') case of Gastroparesis in 2006. I have psoriasis on my scalp and I had some on my back but betamethasone cream helps. I am susptible to canker sores(non-herpes sores) on my inner lips/gums, when I get a sore my digestive system seems to feel worse but my psoriasis seems to vanish until the sore disappears. I also deal with sinus pressure and stuffiness a lot, rarely are both nostrils ever clear.Mental issues I deal with are emetophobia, which is a fear of vomiting and brings on mild panic attacks when nauseated. I do feel I also have attention deficit disorder, general anxiety & avoidant personality disorder.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Interesting... I have acid reflux, haital hernia, stress induced ulcer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heat intolerance and a heart murmur. I'm not sure about panic attacks, when I leave home and have "issues", panic sets in. It might be anxiety as well. It doesn't hit me until I feel the need to use the restroom. Without Celexa and Lotronex I have 3 seconds notice that I have to go. With medication I have about 20 seconds. My wife knows and can hold it for a half hour! Not me, when it hits I barely have enough time to pull to the side of the road and find a bush, I think that would give anyone a panic attack.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What's so interesting is about 3 years ago I stopped smoking. Right about that time my IBS flared and has been flaring ever since. I didn't put it altogether until now. I was a very heavy smoker 4+ packs per day. I had to quit, doc said I had the lungs of a 60 yr old, I'm 45. My body has been through a lot. A lot of addictions I've kicked. I won't go into details but some pretty nasty stuff. I'm clean and have been for 22 years. I didn't get any diseases from it Thank God! Because I could have. Been tested for about everything and came out clean. The smoking, absolutely hard core smoker. If I had to go more than 10 minutes without a cigarette someone was going to get hurt, I was that bad. I loved everything about smoking. After I quit, I noticed the smell it leaves behind. I don't miss that at all. I'm not one to condemn anyone for smoking, it's your choice and not for me to say anything. I just wanted my story to get out.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mark/Cherokee,Are you really taking Lotronex? If so, I am highly surprised as it is only indicated for women with severe IBS. As an pseudo-IBS expert writer/blogger I'm curious, can you explain?Thanks,Elizabeth

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
NEVER. If you find any prescription in my med chest you can have it.As far as smoking, I was a chain smoker for 30 years and it was the root cause of my D. It's poison. Quit while you are still alive.Mark

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am overweight and have reflux and frequent heartburn. I take half a tablet of nexium every 3-4 days which helps. i can't take nexium everyday because I get stomach pains. other than that...healthy as an ox !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Elizabeth, I'm really taking Lotronex, my doctor is a research doctor. He has to put a blue sticker on the script before the pharmacy will fill it. I take it twice daily 1mg little blue oval pill. It's made by Prometheus in San Diego, Ca. It comes in a gray bottle. My doctor has tried every other drug on me and Lotronex is the only one that has any affect on my IBS. Most people it will stop up, not me. I still have bouts with D. I asked if I could take it 3 x a day and was told no, I am on the highest dose allowed. Don't know if anyone caught it in my last post, I quit smoking and the IBS has continuously flared since. I won't go back to smoking.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I watched my paternal grandmother suffer from IBS. She didn't know what it was, neither did her doctor. The day my grandfather passed my grandmother was glued to the toilet. I'm no expert on the subject, I'm a 45 year old man who has had IBS for 40 of those years. I still remember going to kindergarten and having to go home to get cleaned up. Most of the time it happened on the way to school. I've had a thousand accidents since I was 5 years old, very embarrassing accidents. Some people can be very cruel, but I'm a stronger person for going through it. I don't know what causes my IBS, if I did I'd have a cure for it by now. I do know that leaving home starts a chain reaction in my gut

·
Registered
76 Posts
Other than my MC, and all the stress and emotional baggage that comes with it -nope. I'm actually pretty healthy. Oh, the irony.Remission? -Sadly, no. Nearly 11 years without a break other than during steroid treatment.I did suffer migraines starting in my early 20s. A neurologist noted "white matter changes" (oooh mysterious) on a brain MRI. Within normal range, yet visible. The migraines suddenly vanished in my mid 30s, about two years prior to the onset of MC symptoms. I have wondered over the years if there was/is a connection, though I''ll likely never know.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mark,Very intersting. I am very aware of Prometheus and the very strict standards that Lotronext is now prescribed under. I'm checking with the lab as this would almost seem to be an "off label" use and need to make sure I, and other experts, fully understand what is up with drug. Good that it's helping you some. It's all just very curious, especially with it's black box warning after being pulled from the market a few years ago. Need to makw sure doctors are using it appropriately so that it doesn't get pulled again for misuse. I know it actually helps quite a few women, so to have it pulled would be terrible. Thanks for the info.,E.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was part of a group who the drug company tested. They were informed I was a man with severe uncontrollable IBS. I think they would know my doctor had prescribed Lotronex to a man. My doctor went to medical school and specializes in IBS. It's interesting that you would question a physician or the drug company. As far as it getting pulled for misuse you might consult an attorney.I'm no expert, but Lotronex has made a difference in my life and I've been on it for 3 years now. I'll continue to follow my doctors advice. If it works for me, why question it?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One of the reason for the sticker was when any doctor of any specialty (general doctor, etc) could prescribe it a lot of people with severe constipation predominate IBS were being given it as any doctor, even those who didn't know much about IBS or the drug could prescribe it.We had quite a few people here who had to educate their doctor that Lotronex was only for diarrhea predominate IBS when it first came out. Sad, but true, they just saw IBS and didn't really read much further than that. That is why now to prescribe it you have to prove you actually understand what it is for so they get stickers from the FDA.The studies show very few men can respond to it. If you are you are one of the lucky ones. The current guidelines do say women only, but I don't think they will kick a doctor off the program that lets them prescribe if they do find one of the few men it works for and prescribes it for them. However a lot of insurance companies will not cover it because it is not approved by the FDA for use in men.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mark,Not questioning you. This, use for men, was something new that I had never heard was "allowed" since it was brought back on the market. After asking around, I now understand that it is doable and okay if a certified doctor will do it. I'm glad you brought it up here so I could continue my education on it. I learned something new today. I am very glad that it is helping you. But, I know the FDA, and there are some docs out there who don't always abide or fully understand and things like that can get a black box drug pulled. So, just asking questions to fully understand. And now I do. Thanks and continued best of luck to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Okay, so I'm on it and another handful of drugs. Certain combinations have worked for me, my Dr tried and it's working pretty good. I'm out killing animals and eating a lot of red meat, mainly deer and other wild game. Beef, pork and chicken from the store is so full of chemicals it makes my IBS worse and I enjoy shooting my food the way all of us cavemen have been doing since the dawn of time. Did you get a good look at my processed beef? Well, thats what processed beef looks like
Gotta run, tomorrow more animals to kill and so little time. Just to think, I'm saving them from the liberal "Global Warming", oops I forgot, that's so passé! I meant, "Climate Change", oh and I've got combine, tractor and truck tires to burn tomorrow afternoon in a big brush pile I made with my Caterpillar dozer. Lighting it is too easy with 5 gallons of diesel and used motor oil. Ta, Ta for now, I'm tired from cutting trees today to keep my home warm tonight a low of 42* will make your nipples hard, couldn't have that now could we?? TTFNB, think, you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Given that we now have vast chunks of Antarctica and Greenland floating about in our seas, and that somewhere above 90% of accredited weather scientists are on-board with the theory that we are a major contributor in all of this, you might just try giving some thought to the island and low-lying nations before you torch another brush pile, were you to give thought to anything but your nipples.TTFN, gotta ride my bike downtown.Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts