Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,I was diagnosed with IBS-D about 3 weeks ago. I went through an endoscopy/colonoscopy, stool sample tests, blood tests, and a stomach MRI. My doctors were great through the process but once everything came back negative, they diagnosed me with IBS and sent me on my way, as if I wasn't interesting now that I "only" had IBS
I tried to get an appt with a nutritionist, but it wasn't covered by my insurance. Basically, I have pain all the time. I usually only have diarrhea in the morning and then afternoon, and am not seeing any correlation with the food I eat... I have my stress under control (I've gone through counseling and practice Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) so I don't know what to do.. I've gone lactose free, wheat free, and fructose free and nothing seems to help... The worse part is that I have been an avid runner for my school, and now that it is my senior year, I am all but unable to run. I have been doing my best to jog, but my stomach pain gets 1000x worse when I run, and the diarrhea doesn't help either. Could anyone impart some words of advice to help me?? Maybe recommend some supplements or a diet you have tried?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
From all I have heard, I think running will be a continual problem until you get the IBS under control. I know that is tough to hear; but life is long and there will be time to get back to it in the future.Researchers do keep working on this, so there are likely to be continuing breakthroughs in the search for treatments. When I first found this board, they centered mostly on Immodium, Lotronex--which had just been banned by the FDA at that time--, and low dose antidepressants to adjust the serotonin levels in the gut. For those, like me, for whom continual D was the problem, "drying" agents such as Linda's Calcium and the prescription Questran were suggested. The amount that they work on pain is unknown, to me, as that was not my interest. Since that time we have seen probiotic choices (Activia and Align) that seem to affect the biology enough to give variable control to the symptoms. Now there is recent research (http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?/topic/127670-physical-cause-for-ibs-found/) that indicates this may be a response to very low level inflammation. To the extent that that ends up being a principal cause of the D, you can attempt to mediate the inflammation, the histamine, or--if you follow the link which ziggy provides--the diet that may be causing that inflammation. (There was a time when there were discussions, here, about the positive IBS effects from the South Beach and Atkins low/no carbohydrates diet. That would seem to be indicated by the comments of Dr. Mercola, which have helped ziggy with his IBS. I am betting if you were running competitively, that you were carboing-up before races. Perhaps your own chemistry just isn't able to absorb those levels.) Of course, you can also combine therapies, assuming no negative interaction, to address the problem from as many angles as necessary until you find a level of support that allows you to get on with your life. Since you seem to bend towards the non-medical end of treatments, I have heard from others that there are yoga positions which can help with this. I am currently taking acupuncture treatments for a chronic back problem and the therapist tells me there are needle positions that are effective for both bowel and digestive problems, including IBS/IBD/GERD, so that could be another area to research. (Living in the Bay Area, there should be lots of resources for either of those therapies.) In the case of the supplement I use, Provex CV, while I was fortunate to inhabit the low pain end of the spectrum, a friend of mine found it also eliminated her pain, which she found more intense than childbirth, so I can only presume that a similar inflammation might well lay at the bottom of your symptoms, as well. Finally, if it helps, the IBS did not flare up for me until my 40s and was a daily problem for 10 years; but the last 10-11 years, with this thing under control, have led to a most satisfying period in my life. I wish you the best with this.Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.