Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any otc cure for anxiety? I heard about dramamine, any others?------------------19 year old female, college student,*D* type taking Caltrate Plus. Email me to chat

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The best OTC I can think of is relaxation. Learn relaxation techniques, self-hypnosis, meditation, or any form of relaxation you like. I recommend hypnosis, worked well for me. It takes daily practice, you can do it several times of day even. You can't be relaxed and anxious at the same time.

G

·
Dramamine will make you sleepy probably. Try kava kava or chamomile tea. The tea might make you sleepy too. Kava is supposed to be very effective, but you should probably try it at night until you see how it affects you.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been taking the Kava. Works to an extent. Only made me sleepy the first couple of times I took it. Now I take it in the morning.

G

·
I think you should try AZMom's suggestions. Relaxation techniques, deep breathing, meditation can be very effective and are free.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Deep, focused breathing helps me. (You must be worried about your San Fran trip, eh?)Kava kava or valerian root are herbal choices. I don't think you'll find immediate results though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bach Rescue Remedy is a very effective product available over the counter here in Europe. There are numerous websites you can visit to find out about it. Search for Bach Flower Remedies or Rescue Remedy. Having spent many years taking valium, ativan, xanax and whatever else the doctors prescribed for my panic attacks, I now only take Rescue Remedy. Stress management techniques such as Autogenics and TM are also a great help. Most of the time I don't need to take anything, because I no longer allow stress to rule my life as much as it used to - but it's good to know my little bottle of Rescue Remedy is close at hand, just in case!------------------Phyllis

·
Registered
540 Posts
Passionflower (passiflora) is a helpful herbal remedy, available in Australia, ask at your health food store. Chamomile tea is great too. I agree with the others - learn some relaxation techniques. I doubt there is anything over the counter (other than herbal treatments) that will relieve your anxiety without making you sleepy. Ok if you're trying to sleep, but otherwise a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts