Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 yr. old daughter has ibs that has been significantly worse the last several months. She vomits more often than experiencing diarreha. She was recently diagnosed with a significant overgrowth of bacteria in her colon. Antibiotics haven't seemed to help. Someone told me to try Acidopholous. Do you have any info. on this? Also, is there any relationship to ibs and endometriosis?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello,I have recently came across a condition called Dysbiosis which is bacteria/yeast in the stool. Did she have a test called CDSA (Comprehensive digestive stool analysis)? I found some info on this site www.digitalnaturopath.com and it gave a lot of info on conditions caused by this. Let me know if it helps. I have wiped out all the natural flora in my intestines due to the over use of UTI infection meds so I was curious whether I had this. I am taking acidophilus to see if it helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,No she has not had that test. Her doctor had a breath test done that measured the the amount of certain gases in her breath. Please let me know if the acidopholous works for you. I'm desperate for help.Thank you

G

·
The breath test is usually a way to measure bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. A sugar is drunk and then the amount of Hydrogen produced is measured.Antibiotics are the typical treatment for that, but it may take some work to find the one that will work.There are a couple of ways to do the bacterial overgrowth test, and some of them can have a high false positive result, so sometimes the test can be positive and there isn't any overgrowth present.For some people probiotics may help, but the quality of supplements varies widely. Culturelle, PB8, VSL#3, and Primal defense seem to be brands that people like. The primary thing this does is reduce the amount of gas produced from undigested by human carbohydrates.She should be retested for the overgrowth issue to see if the antibiotics worked. These symptoms can be caused by any number of things, so finding one problem may or may not fix the symptoms even if that one problem is resolved.IBS and endometriosis are both common, they can cause some of the same symptoms. In someone with both (which happens a lot because both are common) a flare up of one may increase symptoms of the other. I know of no evidence that one causes the other.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.