Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, i am looking for help. i have had ibs for the last 9 years,it started as ibs - d but looking back now i think i got cronic diarrhea after long periods of constipation. anyway to cut a long story short, about 3 years ago i started taking the laxitive dulcolax, which i now take almost everyday to help have a bowel movement. i know this is bad for me but now i feel i cannot stop. i have spoken to my doctor about this problem, she prescribed movicol which did help but is very expensive and was her long term solution.so i am wondering if anyone else has had this type of problem,and have found an alternative solution, i feel desperate at this stage as i do not want to rely on laxatives.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Can you get miralax where you are, or the generic store brand for it. I think it is the same osmotic laxative.FWIW there is no evidence the modern stimulatory laxatives will make your colon worse than it would have gotten if you refused to take them. Osmotic laxatives can't do anything to the colon muscles, they don't interact with them.Depends on how much you'd rather live with the discomfort than take what keeps you moving, but there isn't a problem with long term use of things like dulcolax unless you were mega dosing it or otherwise abusing it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i live in ireland not sure if you need a prescription for miralax but will look into it. i dont mind taking dulcolax to help with bowel motion but i have to take around 6 in the evening so i have a bm during the night as it causes diarrhea which is very inconvienent when trying to get to work in morning. i was also afraid i was doing harm to myself by taking dulcolax over such a long period.its getting embarrassing buying dulcolax at this stage as i live in a small town with two chemists,so as you can imagine i feel at this stage they are going to refuse to give it to me one of these days

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wilster Miralax might be called Macrogol or Movicol by you. The generic name for it is: polyethylene glycolAlso here sometimes things like this are available in grocery stores over the counter not just pharmacies or chemists places. So look there for either the Movicol or the Ducloax tabs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi dave c, what is Prucalopride? i have never heard of it. a big problem i find here in ireland is the majority of medication that can help me ie movicol, which i have taken in the past, is only available on prescription. when i had to go to doctor to get this it cost me €110 euro for doctor and medication and will cost me €40 a month thereafter hence my decision to go back taking dulcolax which is costing about €10 a month instead. i know i would pay anything to rectify my ibs but sometimes this is just not possible.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Wilster here some info on Prucalopride:http://ibs.about.com/b/2008/06/07/prucalop...onstipation.htmSo it is by prescription here but I do not know if it is there or how much it costs. You would have to research that on your end.Like Kathleen mentioned on your other thread.. you could simply try Magnesium Supplements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.