Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a problem with overweight?I have had IBS for many years the D kind. With all that emptying out you would think that I would be seriously underweight but I am 50 lbs overweight. Much as I try, the weight does not come off. As you all know, most of us can not eat fresh fruit, salads, and most stuff that takes weight off. I do have an underactive thyroid for which I had surgery several years back and do take meds for it but that does not really explain the weight gain over the years. Most of my IBS problems seem to be related to foods that I am allergic to in addition to stress at times. I wonder if allergic reactions can cause weight gain (puffiness)? Just trying to find some excuse I guess. Doctors have no answer. I'm new to this site just having gotten on a few days ago and really am happy to have such a supportive group. You guys are great! Thanks.

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Hi Evenlou:My IBS leans more towards constipation than diarrhea, but I have noticed that when I bloat and cramp my weight can shoot up 5 pounds in 1/2 a day. Before starting with the cramping several months ago I had lost 54 pounds with Weight Watchers and gotten down to 157. When the cramping started it worked it's way up to 169 and only now is starting to very slowly come off. But yet, when I bloat I weigh more and that was a question I meant to post here too.I don't know yet if I have food allergies. I just switched last week from milk to soymilk and seem to bloat less. Hopefully someone else can give you (and me) a better answer. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

· Registered
23 Posts
Hi eve, welcome to the board. I, too, have been recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And one of the symptoms of this disease is myxedema: fluid infiltration of the tissues causing puffiness (mainly in the face.)The meds you are taking (synthroid?) will probably help you in your efforts to lose weight. At least, that's what the doctor told me. But, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I like to take Popeye's view on life: "I am what I am."My question, though, is this: Does our problem with our thyroid have anything to do with our IBS problems? red

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Hi Red: I forgot to add that I also have an underactive thyroid for which I take levothroid. I know they say you can have constipation and weight gain with that type of problem, but medication should straighten it out. I usually have mine checked once a year. But I've never really studied thyroid problems. Maybe I should. Good question. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Well, I have never been tested for thyroid problems, and am hovering around well, I won't say, but I could stand to lose a bit of weight. I have always been overweight, and have added about 30 lbs in the last 20 years or so. I have tried many weight loss programs, and find that even on a 500 calorie diet, I just do not lose after the first 10 lbs. My metabolism just slows down to compensate, and all the exercise in the world is for naught because my energy goes, and I just can't do it. I start sleeping 12-16 hrs a day..... Now, I can eat whatever I want, in any amount my gut will allow, and I don't gain weight.... I wish it were easier!------------------Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Eve,I have always had a problem with my weight!I am 5'2" tall and have been 104lbs and as much as195lbs. Unfortunately, I'm closer to the higher end now. I have no thyroid problems, it's just me. Excercise is my biggest problem. My Doc says to exercise not only for weight, but for my Colon-WHO HAS TIME? I'm up at 5:00AM and don't stop until late at night. And most of the time I feel too lousy to move. As sick as I get, I loose about 5-6 lbs when an attack hits, but it comes right back!!

· Registered
320 Posts
I have the same problem as a lot of you. I have no energy to exercise, and the foods that agree with my tummy best are bland, starchy ones. I would LOVE to eat lots of fruits and veggies and cut down on the carbs, but my gut won't let me. As soon as I eat one too many apples or to much raw broccoli, it's off to the races!I don't think I have thyroid problems, but I haven't been tested in a few years. Wish I could find a way to lose some weight, though. I'm 5'1" and have been a size 20 for ten years. I'm sick of buying "fat clothes" from "fat stores". The clothes just seem to get uglier and more expensive every day.
Debbie

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Well count me in for the "concerned about our weight" group!!! Underactive thyroid can definately cause weight gain....I have a overactive thyroid which I am being treated for and I have gained weight with that (only 10% gain w/overactive...lucky me!)My doc says that if I have the radiation (ablation of thyroid gland) then I can expect to gain some serious weight as it will throw me into a hypothyroid state (underactive) and I will have to take syntheroid or similar meds the rest of my life. As I understand it you TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) can fluctuate therefore you should be tested regularly if you take a syntheroid type med to make sure that you are getting enough.Not an expert on this, but certainly trying to learn all I can since I am having to deal with it. Any input welcome!!------------------Happiness is a warm puppy. -Charles Schultz

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Hi All:I know what you mean about this IBS thing not leaving much energy to exercise. I walk at 20 minute stretches during the day and they do add up. I don't have a car so that helps. I just walk anywhere within a mile.But as for a gym -- forget it. I'm too tired when the cramping starts. I guess we just have to do the best we can. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi K9 MomWhen I first started on thyroid meds about 30 years ago, I was tested almost every 3 months until it reached a balanced level. At that time I could tell when it wasn't the right amount as my heart would beat real fast, felt nervous, stuff like that. But it was really easy once the amount of meds adjusted to my system. Even after my surgery to remove 1/2 the thyroid ten years ago, the amount of thyroid meds I was taking never changed. It just recently has changed a bit going over into hyperthyroid a bit (haven't lost an ounce though), so I've had to cut my med dose just a bit and be tested every 3 months. Feel ok though. Never any side effects like other meds. I have atrial fibrilation which is an irregular heartbeat so I have to be very careful that the thyroid meds are regulated. But no I have never had any serious problems with it and once adjusted a yearly physical is enough just to do the blood work. In a short time you won't even know you are taking meds, nor will it be a problem healthwise. Docs have never said that there is any relationship between thyroid problems and IBS but thinking back, my thyroid problem was diagnosed about 2 years after IBS. I really feel that IBS is more allergy/stress related. If it helps anyone, as I get older, I don't have the D that is a big rush to the bathroom very often. Most of the time, it is just several visits to bathroom before I leave for work, then ok all day. On vacation though I really have to watch it or I end up with several days of D and very painful stomach, nausea, etc.

· Registered
281 Posts
I never had a weight problem until the IBS-D started. I asked the doctor about it and he said that was the norm. He said most people actually gain weight. I think that most of us probably don't eat all day because of what happens when we do eat, then go home and raid the fridge because we are in a safe place now. That's what I do anyway. Slows down the metabolism when you skip meals.

· Registered
146 Posts
Lena, and a few others have hit the problem right on the head.I am overweight and under-exercised. I like food a lot and I don't like most types of exercise. This used to be an ok combo until I got d-type IBS. I used to walk a lot more - walking being a great form of exercise and something that I like to do. Now, with IBS, I can't walk anywhere, really. I've tried it and I always wind up walking for a short while and then running to the nearest bathroom. Kinda frustrating.I'd love to be able to walk with my dog - but I just can't. Fortunately, for him, my wife takes him for walks.And yes, I hear you about eating healthy -unfortunately salads go right through me, too- rather violently, on the express route! Other foods, it doesn't really matter - a jalapeno pepper or a piece of bread can send me running to the bathroom just the same when I'm having a bad IBS day.But, "comfort foods" overall, seem the most calming and stable - unfortunately, also with the most starch, fat and carbs.And you're right about the food binges.I starve myself on days when I have to go out and accomplish things and then eat like a maniac when I can stay home and face the consequences.To try and get out there, I've tried immodium and levsin, but while they do "stop me up" the side effects make me feel awful - not like walking.I'm hoping that one day I find the magic combination of meds and other stuff that allows me to take long walks again and get off some of the weight I've gained and get myself into some kind of shape again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been overweight probably 2/3 of my adult life and I am 60 years old! Strange thing is that for the last 10 years it flutuates about 4 to 6 pounds, but stays around the same weight. And I must confess that is about 50 to 60 pounds over the high end of the charts! I have decided that I must have found my "ideal weight" and I just live with it. And yes, like most of you, most of my eating is done after 6 at night--and that is very bad for us. But as you say, it is better than not eating at all, right?

· Registered
6,913 Posts
Odeal:My weight also fluctuates when I'm bloating by 5-6 pounds. It's so aggravating. As for eating late, I'm with you, it's better than not eating at all.Sometimes I have no appetite for the entire afternoon until 8 or 9 pm due to cramping. Other days I'm ok. Jean------------------"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." Babe Ruth. And I'm also Praying with Bettie for a cure for this NASTY IBS! Jean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.