Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....I have a question for you from reading some of your other posts regarding the book Fiber Menace......since you have this book can you tell me if it has a specific diet listed in detail for IBS-D?I noticed on his website that he has a diet available for IBS-C but not D....says not avialable yet online. I found this odd. Made me wonder if he has one at all to be honest. He says you must 1st do this to get started.Also.....have you been following this diet for D and are you better? Are you taking the supplements he sells for the gut??If so could you share what they are....exactly?I am on high dose prescription Vit d2 50,000iu's to raise it per my physician.....so taking more d right now wouldn't be possible....meaning supplements with d3 in them.Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have not been to his website in quite awhile.............& it sounds as if it's what i call the cost doing business...........i had my own business yrs ago, so i know what i'm talking about.......now, having said that..........i have always been of the opinion that when i wanted to find out what was going on with my body, i read, studied, researched any & everything i could get my hands on...........i have in the past & even these days, read a book about some health issue or info & find only one small sentence that enlightened me just that much more.........for this reason alone, when i hear of some book or some schools of thought on something that just might help me, i get the book as cheaply as possible, i spend hrs, days, weeks on the net, studying my brains out.........i make notes on my desktop, copy the info, i print out info, i study all i can........the thing is, i've studied biology & physiology for close to 35yrs..........i find the human body fascinating.........so i have alot of info under my belt........sometimes i'll read things others have published or written about or just put the info out there on the net.......may god bless the net.......cause it gives u so much....but u need to understand the body & have various rules or premises that i know to b true........."KNOW".........i have come across info that, say it's a book, that seems to b really good, lots of good stuff, ideas that the author has, that make alot of sense........then i'll come to a section that makes me really take a second look, cause the person will state as a fact that this or that is a "FACT" & therefore this is what u must do, things u must adhere to if u want to get well, or whatever..........this does not mean that u should throw out everything they say........cause alot of info out there has some base, sometimes alot of bases, in health..........so i always highlight parts, research things i hadn't heard b 4 & do my own fact finding.....sometimes i read the book many times.........then when i'm done, i take what i want & ignore the things i know to b wrong.........sort of like these websites on various health issue forums.........i went & found my fiber menace book..........there is only one or 2 at the most of things i don't agree with in it........in my lexicon, that's definitely worth reading........yes, he does have guidelines for eating, what to avoid & how the healing goes along & what to look for.........i think that the reason he hasn't yet published the next book, is cause there is alot of things u have to b very careful of, when putting out info that 'THE CONSUMING PUBLIC" is going to read........the majority of the public, in my opinion is not very bright.........they often do stupid things, things that make me say, what were u thinking?, or more like u weren't..........they don't use the intelligence god gave them.......they r often sheep or like the rats in the pied piper story.........i have never, ever followed blindly anyone or anything.........it's my body, my life & if i make a mistake, i'm the one who has to live with it..........people always want to have someone else make the hard decisions for them & then they want everyone else to b responsible for the consequences of their idiocy..........then they sue........i find it moronic.........anything i try or do to or for my body, i research as much as i can & while i am doing, whatever, i take it slowly & pay attention to how my body is reacting, how it is feeling.........cause there is a good pain & a bad pain........there is healing pain & there is pain causing damage.........every person has to have some inkling of their body economy & hemostasis.........for example, i've had migraines for yrs.........they were getting worse with time..........during one of the things i mentioned about HCl, on this site & others, while taking it in the beginning, those migraines got worse.........but i never run for meds to kill pain, so i did the things i know that can help them & in taking more of the HCl, i noticed that the migraine slowly disappeared.........each subsequent migraine i got, i took less & less of the other stuff, till one nite, in a long secession of migraine nites, i decided to just crawl out of bed & take nothing but HCl & water, to c if this was the answer.........u know what, this really bad pain was gone in 15min, i was clear headed & there was no remainder of it, which there usually is..........so i had to do some thinking about this........with migraines, chronic migraines, there is a narrowing of the blood supply to the head or some times a widening of them, depending on how it effects u..........both of these situations can cause incredible pain..........well, if the walls of the veins & arteries going to the brain r lax, that means that it is not contracting the way it should in a healthy blood supply..........if it too tight, it's the other side of the same coin.......that can indicate atherosclerosis, hardening of the arteries..........so by just treating them when they come, does nothing to really cure them.......it's also an indication of other problems not seen............so i had to live with some good pain that led to healing...........it was a very good thing.........but i had to make those decisions myself about what was happening to me..........another thing that led me to keep trying the HCl, was that other things were getting so good in my body, i felt so much better..........so if some things were better, how could something that relieved so much pain, cause it other places.........there was something else going on & i had to figure it out.........i know u didn't expect a small book in reply, but there r no easy answers..........one thing in his book was about iron........now there is alot of people who will tell u, u shouldn't do that, ask ur dr, go by labwork.........but there is much the blood tests don't tell u.......i wanted to give it a go........i did & told my dr about it........he tested my iron levels, they were fine, but they were fine b 4.........iron is an interesting thing........there's a whole other line of thought........the thing about lab tests is that just cause ur levels of whatever u r testing for, r fine, doesn't tell u how much of what u r looking at is being utilized by ur body........alot of lab tests r of blood, but if u r not getting it where it needs to b, to keep u healthy, then u r still in need..........now, after u've read this & u want more of my help, write me directly: [email protected] the subject area, put from ibs-help.......then i will read it...........one more thing just came to me........i know his book is geared for people who r constipated, but constipation & diarrhea r 2 sides of the same coin.........genetics decide which way u may express it, doesn't mean it's not about u...........& i have taken his probiotics, still am, i alays buy a number of months supply of things, saves alot of money.........they seem to work about as well as other good probiotics........look for the most strains.........chris........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply. I may pick up this book.....seems like he does have some good info....just not the water thing.....but I don't eat much fiber....at least that I know of.....to bad there isn't more available on D.

·
Registered
311 Posts
yeah, i know........D is seem as a mild problem.......course if some dr had it bad, there might b more help for us poor peons........there r things u may b eating, that can cause D........do u use any sweeteners other than sugar.......xylitol, splenda & the like?......the can act like a laxative..........also, inulin is something that can do this also.....it's used in foods to stretch them & for other purposes.........do u eat natural or not??.........how much sodium & potassium do u take in?............if u don' have enough potassium, ur intestines can b unable to absorb the liquid from the chime, too much & u get D..........if u don't get enough sodium (i use sea salt) ur adrenals can b underactive in one or more of the hormones that help control & maintain muscle integrity...........the sea salt has helped my d alot........both of them have to b in balance.......with the salt, i have been able to stop some of the D sessions i just knew was going to happen..........chris........

·
Registered
15 Posts
No I never have used artificial sweetners....the taste bothered me too much....I did use stevia long ago but I didn't have IBS-D then or at least not diagnosised and not like lately. I try to eat well but can't say I do a great job of it.....I am still learning what is supposed to be good to eat for D like the brat diet....which I mostly have a bananna per day.....and all my labs for electrolights sodium & potassium are perfectly normal.....I see an internist for my thryoid disease and he has been running tons of labs on me for a good while now. I know about adrenal issues as I was learning yrs back about my thryoid disease and how to manage it....so I had them tested....all checked out good...and I use good sea salt & kosher salt for cooking always.I can't say I eat natural.....I think you mean really healthy....I can't say I do that.....I have been still learning about it all.....seems over whelming and hard to change.Like today I had KFC chicken for lunch as I have been doing really well for a few weeks now.....I just ate the chicken....no sides......I had no pain for weeks now and very little issue with D.....within 30mins of that chicken I had horrible intestinal pain start.....stupidly I thought it can't be happening and waited....it got so bad I nearly barfed on myself while seated on the potty with D! I ended up taking immodium (2 tabs) and waiting to see if they would make that pain & D stop.....luckly they worked for me.....I am very confused about how quickly this all can come on......people always say that it can't go thru you that fast but I swear it does! and it was that stupid KFC!I know fast food is not good to be eating but I hadn't had it in a long time and things were going well so I did and well now I don't want it ever again! thought chicken would be alright....never bothered me like that before.....maybe it's the grease.....who knows.Thanks for your help.....I have lot's of reading to do.....trying to do that on the forum here and online.....and then trial and error on diet and probiotics....started those today.....plus I use the calicum too in Linda's thread.....on and off....as it can give me C if I take to much....what a tight line to walk LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts