Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I had IBS about 3 years ago for a few years and when I moved countries it went away. Now I'm getting sharp stabbing pains in my lower left abdomen after I eat and (randomly) they also wake me up at night. The gastro doctor says it's probably IBS again. Just wondering what to take for the pain. He suggested gastrosoothe but it doesn't seem to work. Panadol kind of does. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat and the pain lasts for a couple of hours esp. after the evening meal.I've lost 3 - 4 kg since this started and I really want to get to the source of the pain so I can live normally.Cheers for any help/ advice.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you tried a cup of peppermint tea 20-30 minutes BEFORE your meal, also may try whatever prescription for the pain after meals also 30 minutes before meal.Usually having something in place to take care of the pain works better than taking something only after it gets bad and often by the time the meds kick in the post eating pain was going to fade by itself anyway.After every mean every human's colon gets more active. For IBSers that can set off pain, but that the colon is more active is normal. Antispasmodics sometimes help blunt the over-reaction to that normal signal, but you need the drug in before the pain hits for that to work. Now neither of the prescribed things are antispasmodics, so you might try peppermint tea before a meal and see if it helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.