Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have occasionally been getting lower abdominal pain after eating over the last several months. I was diagnosed with IBS after a negative colonoscopy a few years back so I know it's not Crohn's or anything of that nature. I have read about some different medications that you take with meals (or before) to help with this issue.. has anyone tried any of these and would you recommend them?Thanks!!Angie

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI, Angie, I've come back to this board after several yrs.I have used Librax-1 or 2 a day, 30 min. before meals- and helps me very much! It can make you C(I alternate)but if so, I skip a day or so and drink more water. The worst thing is dry mouth, but I can handle that. If I have D, I take 2 and with 2 Imodium, I am OK. It helps me relax,and the terrible crampy spasms are stopped. I also take Desyrel (200 mg.) before sleep when I had a fibromylgia diagnosis. My IBS is much better- Hope this helps. Barbiej

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. It has gotten a bit worse but still comes and goes. I was in to see my primary care doc this week (bad migraine!) and mentioned it to her. She gave me a script for Levsin. I have only tried it twice.. yesterday it seemed to work but not tonight. I can feel my stomach rumbling so maybe my issue right now is more gas related.I am excited for some possible relief though! It sucks to have pain when you eat. I'm afraid I might have an ulcer because I do take high amounts of ibuprofen or naproxen sodium at certain times of the month but I don't want to go in for any more tests right now! I just had a lap last month for pelvic pain and am having a CT scan on Saturday for a strange, imitrex resistant migraine.I'm falling apart!
(Thanks again,Angie

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi AngieJust a thought...I take 2 peppermint and 1 Magnesium tablet with my meals (when I don't know what's in them) as I know certain things cause the pain...Have you done a food diary to see if there is anything specific that might be setting it of?? Is it all meals??BTW I started off with a lap for my pain issues - it took them years to realise it was IBS related...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had thought about taking peppermint capsules but I don't think they are available here in the US. I could always order them online though. Do they cause heartburn though? I don't have many heartburn issues but I wouldn't want to cause any either!Even though my doctor didn't see any visible endometriosis during my lap, I still think I have it. My pain is very much related to my cycle and doesn't seem to be related to my bowel patterns at all. In fact, I have always been D prominent but since the birth of my 2nd son, things have been much better in that category. For a few years I was the Imodium queen!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.