Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anybody has this pattern. I am C and tried taking fibre and mag supplements daily, and when they worked, I was fine...but if they didn't produce a BM, I was in far worse agaony than I would have been if I didn't take anything. This was the case if I only took mag or only the fibre. Its as if you need a greater volume of stuff in their to trigger the persitalsis, but if it doesn't happen, that volume just causes pain. I'm now thinking about just giving up supplements. Sometimes I think my IBS was better when I didn't do anything for it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Modgy these supplememts can be very useful if used sytematically. If you take them at the same time every day and up your water intake you should have an easier time with it. It will cause pain if there is a blockage it needs tp get past, so you need the extra water to help prevent these blockages from forming. And if you don't ease your dosage up slowly you will get gas and bloating which will also cause pain.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Modgy these supplememts can be very useful if used sytematically. If you take them at the same time every day and up your water intake you should have an easier time with it. It will cause pain if there is a blockage it needs tp get past, so you need the extra water to help prevent these blockages from forming. And if you don't ease your dosage up slowly you will get gas and bloating which will also cause pain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep water, water, water. You can get used to drugs (I heard the word for it once and forgot) but I don't think fiber is that way. I take two fiber pills in morning WITH food and glass of water and same with dinner. I use the mag supplements (Phillips chews) only as needed so the efficacy will not diminish. But water is a must. I suppose it does make sense that you would be uncomfortable when the meds don't produce a BM but that will pass I should think. Don't stop taking the fiber pills.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep water, water, water. You can get used to drugs (I heard the word for it once and forgot) but I don't think fiber is that way. I take two fiber pills in morning WITH food and glass of water and same with dinner. I use the mag supplements (Phillips chews) only as needed so the efficacy will not diminish. But water is a must. I suppose it does make sense that you would be uncomfortable when the meds don't produce a BM but that will pass I should think. Don't stop taking the fiber pills.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both of you for the tips.Can I ask, have you found that with consistent, regular use of fibre supplements the pain goes away eventually? Does it really get better?And what's your opinion on the idea that you'll have less pain if you try to get all your fibre from food, rather than take supplements? This sort of seems to be my case, but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks both of you for the tips.Can I ask, have you found that with consistent, regular use of fibre supplements the pain goes away eventually? Does it really get better?And what's your opinion on the idea that you'll have less pain if you try to get all your fibre from food, rather than take supplements? This sort of seems to be my case, but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The thing with supplements is that you can guarantee that you get the same amount of fibre, at the same time, every day which is good for your bowel. And yes you can be pretty much pain-free once your bowel is regulated again. Everybody has occasional upsets IBS or not, but this can be the best way to normalise your bowel function so that problems are few and far between.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The thing with supplements is that you can guarantee that you get the same amount of fibre, at the same time, every day which is good for your bowel. And yes you can be pretty much pain-free once your bowel is regulated again. Everybody has occasional upsets IBS or not, but this can be the best way to normalise your bowel function so that problems are few and far between.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I am new here. Are you saying that fiber supplements help with IBS. I was reading online about "Digestrin". Does anyone know if this pill works? I have been sufferring for most of my life, but never knew there was a medical term until recently. The panic attacks are what I hate most. Any advice??? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I am new here. Are you saying that fiber supplements help with IBS. I was reading online about "Digestrin". Does anyone know if this pill works? I have been sufferring for most of my life, but never knew there was a medical term until recently. The panic attacks are what I hate most. Any advice??? Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The one thing I know about fiber is that you really should take it with a meal. I used to take it right before bed but my GI doc told me to take it along with dinner (and now breakfast too) and I don't have any side effects from the fiber.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The one thing I know about fiber is that you really should take it with a meal. I used to take it right before bed but my GI doc told me to take it along with dinner (and now breakfast too) and I don't have any side effects from the fiber.

·
Registered
577 Posts
What fiber supplement are you taking? I have heard that the Citracel tablets cause the least bloating and gas, is that true? I also think that taking Magnesium really can help because it helps to draw water into the colon/intestines which helps the fiber pass through, and water is so important but when one is in pain it is so hard to drink lots of water!

·
Registered
577 Posts
What fiber supplement are you taking? I have heard that the Citracel tablets cause the least bloating and gas, is that true? I also think that taking Magnesium really can help because it helps to draw water into the colon/intestines which helps the fiber pass through, and water is so important but when one is in pain it is so hard to drink lots of water!

·
Registered
143 Posts
soontobe you might be suffering from anxiety induced bowel problems. You might want to try an anti-anxiety drug to help you out. If you are experiencing the anxiety because of the bowel dysfunction then hypnotherapy can help. And yes fibre substances can help with IBS.

·
Registered
143 Posts
soontobe you might be suffering from anxiety induced bowel problems. You might want to try an anti-anxiety drug to help you out. If you are experiencing the anxiety because of the bowel dysfunction then hypnotherapy can help. And yes fibre substances can help with IBS.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.