Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I'm 21 and was diagnosed with IBS around 3 years ago, although all through childhood I remember getting stomach upsets and D after eating specific foods. AS I got older though, my problem is more to do with nerves - I'd keep having to visit the toilet when I was nervous or stressed out (say for instance before a job interview or stuff like that- really, the kind of bowel problems alot of people would get even if they didnt have IBS!) Anyway, luckily I have it mildly, and know roughly which foods to avoid if i dont want to have an attack.But recently I've been getting a horrific pain, which is worrying because it doesnt seem to be related to anything. I'll eat a normal dinner and it will just come one, or will come on maybe 3 or 4 hours after I've last eaten. Sometimes it's after i've eaten alot, which is understandable. What happens is i'll get a horrible pain in my lower abdomen and have to go to the toilet, however will be really constipated and have to wait maybe half an hour before anything happens. in this time the pain gets so bad that i literally think im about to throw up. then i'll finally have a bowel movement, but the pain wont go. then the left part or my lower abdomen will start kind of rumbling, or gurgling, and then ill finally have diarrhea. the whole ordeal takes maybe an hour. then after, i'll feel really weak and will be shivering alot. then, miraculously, i'll be absolutely fine and able to run around and feel as if nothing happened (that last part is particularly strange as usually if ive had stomach problem ill feel a dull ache in my bowels for ages afterwards and have to take it easy as i recover.)I was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same kind of thing? A close friend of mine is getting problems recently and seems to get that same kind of pain.Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
thing that works for me...dont eat big meals...aloae vera juice..stuff like actimel...green tea...without milk...u get used to it quicker than u think....i can usually feel when av eat to much...then i just stop eating until the feeling goes away...no point eating if u dont feel like it..its like am not gonna eat cause of the sake of it....eat when u feel hungry...and dont eat until ur bloated...hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happens to me too actually. Every Thursday night when I work the late shift from 4pm to 11pm. Around 9 I usually get the cramping, even if all I eat is a banana and drink some water. It's awful.It gets so bad I can't even stand up straight. All I want to do is lie down and it usually helps.. But I can't just lay on the floor in the office for half an hour and do my job! I usually end up going home early..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your description is the closest thing I've ever read to what my symptoms are like. I get the terrible cramping with what seems like constipation and then within 30 minutes to as long as 4 hours it will change to diarrhea. I have actually had the pain get so bad a couple times that I have thrown up. I've determined what my trigger foods are (dairy and popcorn are the worst for me) and exercise has helped. When I'm actually in pain, a heating pad helps but for the most part I seem to have to just wait it out. I used to have flare ups several times a week but I've now gotten it down to once every couple months and the pain isn't as bad and it doesn't last as long as it used to. Still when I'm in the middle of it, it is miserable. The hypnosis cds helped me a lot. I adjusted my diet first, then started taking a tablespoon of flaxoil every day. Then I listened to the cds, then I started exercising regularly. I've seen a huge improvement but still have my bad moments (I've been dealing with this for 29 years). I would suggest you try everything and just see what works for you and then stick to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum, I was diagnosed with IBS about 8yrs ago.I suffer with the same sympoms, sometimes I will wake up during the night with the pain and sometimes it will keep me awake most of the night until I finally go and then it seems that the first section seems to be abit like a hard plug and after I get that out it's diarrhea.At times at work I will cramp up and have to crouch down with the pain which at times seems to come in waves, it's so embarressing I work in a supermarket so you can imagine the looks I get, I try and crouch between the checkouts so its not as noticeable that am crouching down in agony.I've tried many things and somethings seem to work for a period of time and then stop.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
The pain of IBS can be so debilitating - I have had the same experience of doubling over in pain in public - Having had IBS since 1983, nothing helped (or only short-term) until I found out about the hypnotherapy CDs on this BB in 2000. Sometimes the pain and urgency was so bad, I had to leave my shopping cart - abandon it - and barely made it home - missed out on a ton of my life. Take a peek at the links below if you want some info - or ask here - I am happy to help if I can... take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.