Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Pain at night only

364 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  amy22 
G
#1 ·
I always seem to get my gut ache at around 3:00 AM. Does anyone else seem to get it at night only?BTW. Ativan, which was prescribed by my Doctor, seems to knock me out and "apparently" gets rid of the pain, however it makes you feel like you drank 100 shots of tequila the night before. Has anyone used any other remedy that lets you sleep, yet have a good morning?

#2 ·
ask your doctor if tranxene would be appropriate for you. you'll find it's sedative effects much less profound. i believe your night pain might be caused by whatever neurologic component is involved with ibs. neurologic pain is usually worse at night but the same time every night is puzzling?? do you usually eat or drink the same time every night? i think if your colonic contractions were violent enough they probably would awaken you from an ativan induced sleep. i'm not sure if what i just posted is medically sound so please ask your doctor if what i said makes any sense.

G
#3 ·
Thanks for the advise, I will check with my doctor. My meals are always at about the same time wich is between 6 and 7 PM. Normally I won't drink anything after my meals other than Chamoamille tea at about 10:00 PM. And, you are right, The colonic contractions sometimes are strong enough that even Ativan won't do anything and I will stay awake for hours until the pain eases off

#5 ·
I've used the OTC drug, "Simply Sleep" and it works without making you feel groggy. My Dr. suggested it to me when I was having trouble taking Trazadone. **anyone tried Trazadone?** Trazadone is awful. It knocks you out forever. Maybe Simply Sleep will work for you. I also experience night pains but they're usually gone by the time I want to go to bed. (I'm a night owl) Let us know what helps!-Amy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.