Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Since the begining of june i have been getting a constaint pain below my right rib which also esculates to the side and back area. my GP seems to think this is related to IBS but im not sure.the pain can be worst on some days than others normally the pain is 6-7 out of ten, last week the pain was only 3 which was great because i thought i was getting better but this week the pain is 10.it doesn't matter what pain killers i take the pain is still the same, i cant sleep well becuase of the painany help or advise would be much appriated, thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Did you try to take anti-depressants? I have also pain on right (right in the middle) and after taking anti-depressants I would say pain became 2-3 out of ten (before it was 7-8) and even it now feels like not a pain, but some uncomfortable feeling.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually for IBS pain OTC pain relievers aren't really going to treat the pain from IBS and narcotic prescription meds may be way too constipating for some and may make the gut nerves more sensitive to pain over time.The bend in the colon on the right near the gall bladder is a relatively common problem spot, most common is the bend on the left near the spleen. Both are under the ribs. Typically drugs for IBS pain are antispasmodics or low dose antidepressants (which reset the pain threshold so they don't report pain inappropriately, the drugs don't know they were approved for mood issues and work on all sorts of nerves).Usually Gall bladder pain (and the pain nerves there don't really distinguish between the gall bladder and the colon, they do both) does radiate up the way you describe, but it tends to be more of severe attacks with pain free time in between, usually for several hours after a fatty meal (how much fat it takes to set it off depends on the person) and then letting up for awhile. IBS is more likely to cause pain most of the time (although it can be episodic for some people)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,doctor has given me co-dydramol tablets which dont seem to make much difference, should these work for ibs?what i trying to figure out is is the pain im getting a symtom of ibs or has my gp just fogged me off, the pain i am having is below the rib right and carrys on to the side and the back.thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS can cause pain there. IBS is the most common cause of abdominal pain. Pain and/or discomfort is a symptom that should be required to make an IBS diagnosis. IBS can cause pain in all four quadrants of the abdomen, and that location is included in that. The colon goes through all four quadrants of the abdomen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,thanks for you prompt respond it is much appreciated and reassuring, sometimes i get pain on the other side as well same place but it normally goes away after a few hours/day is this normal too with ibs?also what about leg pains as today my legs are killing methanks againj

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hithanks for your reply.i brought some buscopan tablets from the chemist and have tried to take some this morning but pain is the same...do these tablets take a few days to show any effect?can anyone recommend anything else i can try to relive the painthanksdee

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,also i have forgot to mention i always feel like i want to puke up, this morning i have puked up twice already...and i dont feel like eating...is this symtoms of ibs too? or could this is galdbadderdee

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people with IBS also have nausea issues, but it may be separate upper GI issues.A lot of things cause nausea including things like worrying too much or being in pain for any reason in any part of the body.Some people can get vomiting with gall bladder attacks, but it isn't the one symptom that can be used to diagnose gall bladder issues and tell it from anything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.