Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm going to be completely honest here and might ramble on for a bit and I'm sorry. I am a 26 year old male who just moved to Toronto about a year ago. I suffer from IBS, not mild but mind blowing. I am so sick of the pain, the diarreah, the addiction to Immodium etc.I need help, I never ask for help but I am now. The pain is unbearable. I have watched my diet, taken several different medications that don't work. Quit drinking socially, cut down on smoking and cut out caffiene all together. I have everything the doctors have told me to do and I still suffer almost everyday of my life. I wake up in the morning an hour earlier than I should just to see if the day is going to be bad or not. I have found when I have serious pain I have taken oxycodone and it has helped. The pain I experience doesn't just last a half hour and goes away. It lasts all day and is unbearable. I have quit jobs because of this and I'm sick of not being able to do anything. I have informed my latest doctor at the walk in clinic about my situation and they do nothing. I resort to asking friends for left over pain pills they might have from getting wisdom teeth removed so I can function normally. Basically IBS runs my life, it controls me and I don't control it. I take OTC pills for the "Runs" and "Gas" ie Immodium (my best friend) and gas meds. I really need some help. When I lived in the States for the short while when I did the doctors there understood my pain and helped me out with it, here they just scoff at me. Herbal remedies I have tried, hell I have tried it all and I cant' live with it anymore. I have never tried a message board like this before but I'm so sick and fed up that I need something.So I'm sorry to Rant but if anyone from toronto has some suggestions on what I can do, or what Doctor I can see please email me. I am unemployed and looking for work to do at home. (which isn't going very well, so soon I'll be unemployed and broke living off my roomates) I need help. My email address is brethirsch###yahoo.com I will try to come back to the message board on a regular basis.Thank you so much for reading this I'm sorry about the spelling but I am so upset and in pain right at this second that I just want to get this off my mind. Back to the online employment search.shalomBret Hirsch aka SUREFOOT

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Bret, Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I can't help you out much, as I don't live in Toronto (although I did grow up in Mississauga). However you'll probably get more responses to your post if you put it on the main board (IBS instead of Pain/Gas/Bloating) More people check it and I think there are a few Torontonians there. Also I think Jeff, the guy responsible for the website lives in Toronto. You may want to try contacting him.I hope you find some help, Linda

G

·
Hi Bret,I cannot offer much help with your search for help in Canada, but I can tell you that I have been where you are at before.I was diagnosed with it 11 years ago, but think that I have probably had it for closer to 20. At times it has been a nightmare. There is not an aspect of my life that has not been impacted by it. For me IBS has been cyclical, sometimes things can be very tough and I feel like I will never be able to live a normal life again.And then I wake up and it is a brand new day and I can function normally. For me the hardest part of this is the mental wear and tear. But I do know from experience that if I keep plugging along things do improve.Hypnosis has been very helpful in assisting me in relaxing. You might consider looking into that. Anyway, I hope that things get better for you, just remember that you are not alone.On a side note a friend of mine who also has IBS once wished that the president, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett all develop IBS. Not that we want them to suffer, but in a state of semi-delirium we thought that it would be a good way to see that more resources and pushed into studying this for a cure, or at least creating more public restrooms. 

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you live in the dufferin-Lawrence area, You can try Dr. bernstein at 416-256-7731. He listens and tries to help. He will refer you to a gastro if you ask him to. Take Care

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carmen, Thanks for the suggestion, is Dr. Bernstein a walk in person or would I have to call and set up an apt? That name rings a huge bell with me, for some reason. Thanks so much!Bret

·
Registered
309 Posts
Your Welcome, I usually call the same day and I can see him, He is also open on Saturdays sometimes. If you want a Saturday app't you should call a few days in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try Dr. Choi at teh Mt.Pleasent/Eglinton walk in clinic. He is very understanding and has tried to help me on numerous times, even sent me to a specailist for further help. He is aware of IBS and is helpful.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hi dr. choong at universtiy and college has helped me tons. sent me for a colonoscopy and barium enema (though i would not wish that on anybody!) to eliminate all possibilities..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bret.When you are at the end of your rope with didgestive problems I would advise focusing all your attention on the food that you put in your body. I would suggest that you go to mercola.com. I have found this website to be most informative. I believe that Dr Mercola genuinely cares about helping people. I also believe that he is more knowlegdable than any of the pathetic doctors that I have been to here in the states. Good luck and never give up hope!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts