Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:I am new on the board and see that everyone is dealing with stomach problems/IBS. Everyone seems very eager to support each other, so I would like to pose a question for you.I have had problems with my stomach/IBS for at least 10 years. I found a GI that I really like and am having a EGD on Thursday. I am having this procedure because I have pain in my upper right quadrant of the stomach, close to the rib cage. For the last week, I have had a new type of pain unlike any I have had before. That is why I visited the GI. I feel this constant pressure on the upper right part of the stomach. When I eat, it really bothers me and is most uncomfortable. Has anyone else had this kind of feeling? I am accustomed to regular stomach pain and reflux but this is a very strange feeling. It has also seriously affected my appetite.I would appreciate any input you kind folks could offer.
Thanks,Linda

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I wish I could help you. Your symptoms sound like they could be a gallbladder issue or maybe gas which you can get all over. The UGD which I think is similar to if not the same as an upper endoscopy,I can help you with cause I have had 3 of them. Its not a bad test at all.Sorry I cant help you more. I'm sure someone will see this who can. Hope you get some answers and feel better soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NancyCat-A question for youI am not sure if the UGD is the same an an Upper Endoscopy. I expect that it is.I had an EGD ten years ago and it was dreadful. Hopefully the procedure is better now. I remember having a horrible time swallowing that tube.Let me know how yours was if it is similiar or the same test.Thanks,Linda

·
Registered
1 Posts
Linda,I have lurked on this board for years, but joined today so that I could respond to your message. I was basically "normal" until I had my gall bladder removed in Dec 1999. Since then, every winter, I get pain on my right side. It only happens in late Dec/Jan/Feb, but it has been almost like clockwork these past few years. When then pain comes, there is a firm feeling on the right side, jsut below the last rib, that can be felt, even by someone else. Lying down on my right side for 10 or 15 minutes can help alleviate it (a hot water bottle helps even more). Last year in Feb in had the Upper Endoscopy. Doc saw some signs of a bit of reflux and put me on a pump inhibitor. The pain stopped shortly thereafter, but I always felt it was about the time of year it would have stopped on its own. I have stayed on the pills, however, because if I stop taking them, I get heartburn, never a problem before, and I figure I am stuck with them for life now.Like clockwork, between Christmas and New Years, I starting feeling that same of firmness and the beginnings of the pain. I thought about what is different in the winter vs summer and made some changes. This year I have religiously taken Acidophilus, Vitamin D, Digestive Enzyme and a GAS-X type pill a few minutes before eating. I have also really increased my water consumption, trying to get to 80 oz a day. I'm also trying to get out for a walk of some type every day, even if it is only 15 minutes. For the last month it has felt like I am staying just ahead on the pain - the firm/fullness is still there, and sometimes the pain pops it's head out, but I haven't had a full blown attack yet this year.All that said, I don't know which of the things I am doing is making the difference, but I am not changing anything until the warm sun is back.I hope something in there helps. Blair

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blair:Thank you for posting your story. I appreciate you sharing with me. For me, the more info I have the better.Thanks Again,Linda

·
Registered
24 Posts
Linda,I'd be very interested in how your EGD goes and your diagnosis. I have something that seems very similar and can identify with you. I've had IBS for many years (started IBS-D now more like IBS-C). I later developed GERD, but really didn't have much other upper GI -like symptoms. During the 3 months I've had some new symptoms-at first it seemed like indigestion with some pain right below the ribs -center. Now this is more like bloating or a constant low level pressure especially after eating. I have read here that some IBS symptoms may follow gastritis (a couple of people where I work had gastritis around the time I started having my problems). I have an appt with my phys in a few weeks.So please post your results and how you're feeling.Thanks and good luck

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Linda I'm pretty sure it is the same. I had a light general by an anethesiologist for the test as I have a problem with the meds used for conscious sedation so I dont remember. My husband is an RN and was in the room and said the DR told me to swallow and I did.Your symptoms sound almost like gallbladder issues. Today is Thursday, how did it go?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Your symptoms sound a lot like mine did before I was diagnosed with gallbladder disease. When I first went to the doctor for it, I was having an acute attack and they did an ultrasound to look for stones - no stones. So off I went, thinking I was in the clear for gallbladder issues. 6 months later I was still having frequent, sometimes severe pain in the area you are describing. I went back to the doctor armed with more knowledge than I had the first time and asked for a HIDA scan. it is a simple test that can image the gallbladder over a period of time to see how well it is functioning. Mine was barely functioning so it was recommended I have it removed. I did that in October last year. My pain is all but gone and my diarrhea has improved a lot. I have to wath the fat content of my meals but I can eat a lot more foods than I used to be able to. It might be worth checking out.Marty

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good advice from everyone...The one thing that popped into my head concerning the time frame.....I am wondering if you are experiencing symptoms in December / January because of the holiday eating that is associated with these months?I am thinking that if it is your gallbladder, maybe the heavier meals that a person eats in winter as well as the extra treats that we allow ourselves over the holidays can cumulatively be too much for your gallbladder to handle. That could explain why you seem to feel it more in the winter.......However if your diet doesn't change much during the winter months then this is really a very wild guess!Laurie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts