Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read ways to describe pain as "burning" "stabbing" "stinging" but never how I'd describe my ab pain.It's like sharp fingernails scraping across my lower ab from left hip to right hip.Anyone relate? When GIMD asks what is your pain like, what would you say?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Just tell him what you told us here. You used the word sharp.. so then that is the word I would use to describe it.Then decscribe the onset (where -on your abdomen- & when it begins), frequency (how often it happens) and duration (how long it lasts) and that should give your Dr a good idea of what it is like for you.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds like BQ had a good way of describing it.Usually timing and intensity is more important that if it feels sharp vs pinching vs stabbing vs dull, etc. So much of pain is subjective experience even when you can give two people the exact same painful stimulus that getting the precisest word for the pain descriptor isn't nearly as important as when does it start, how long does it last, what is the location, how intense is it and does anything in particular trigger it.We like to think that being a little more pinchy vs stabby vs sharp vs whatever else will tell them something, but usually it doesn't. As long as you can get it hurts here for X hours and starts after Y you should be fine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I do not describe my pain like that either yogi,mines is agonising,unbearable,can be on verge of collapse and takes my breath away!But i am always told it is my IBS that causes it.So i try to cope best i can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'd say sharp especially on my left side like i'm being repeatedly stabbed at my worst its hard to explain as i have different types of paincould be contraction like or like my insides are being put through a mangle!or near constant period style cramps i'm writting down a diary at the moment to show the dr so she'll believe me thats its not just in my head!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts