Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was diagnosed with IBS a couple of years ago but reading many reports from other sufferers I wonder if my symptoms are unusually mild, particularly in relation to pain. I get what I assume is cramping on my right side just above belly button level, but rarely, if ever, would I call it 'painful'. A fairly mild discomfort and general nagging 'awareness' is the usual status for me. I notice it most when lying on my back in bed, last thing at night and when I wake up in the morning. Very occasionally I get a slightly more sharp, stabbing 'hot' pain but even that is not even at a level where I would consider pain killers. My daily 10 or 20 mg of Citalopram seems to help with either easing the cramps or making me less aware of them, hard to tell which actually.
So am wondering if this relatively low level of pain is very unusual and hoping some of you can offer some insight. I think I have IBS-U (doc didn't specify) so neither C or D symptoms, although definitely more frequent movements and more individual stools than before. The doc did weeks of blood tests and qFIT before a quite positive (if reluctant) diagnosis.
Many thanks for any feedback, much appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have always wondered the same thing . I am diagnosed with IBS-D , this my 7 th year. I never have pain .
When I am extremely bloated , I have discomfort , a kind of pulling sensation/ distension . But never pain

Another thing that s different about my symptoms , I don't have food triggers and I don't have "flare ups". I have the same IBS symptoms every day .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kenny, perhaps it will relax both of us to know that at least one other person has very similar symptoms. Likewise, no 'flare ups' and no specific food triggers, although I do think higher fat/carbs meals in general (maybe) make it slightly worse... again, really not sure on that even. Thanks so much for your reply, it's a relief!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello Nigel, most people with IBS have very negligable symptoms and a considerable minority of patients 15-25% according to marketing estimates, are never diagnosed. The likely reason you hear people complaining about much more severe symtpoms is that those who have moderate to severe IBS are the ones who will go and seek help online, the tip of the ice berg. The patient population is not thought to follow a normal distribution but rather a pyramide shape where most patients have mild symptoms, some have moderate symptoms and few severe. The cramping you experience is a classic sign of visceral pain, as opposed to somatic pain which is the kind of pain you feel when you cut your finger of fall playing a sport. Visceral pain is often much more diffuse and only really feels like pain when it's strong. Low levels of pain will be interpreted by your brain as cramping, fullness/bloating and having to go to the toilet instead, due to how your brain has learned to interprete stimuli comming from the lower intestines. Since the Rome IV criteria have been introduced it is important to acknowledge that pain is a necessary symptom to fulfill the IBS criteria. If pain is not present a functional diagnosis instead is more relevant. you can read more here What Is New in Rome IV
@Kenny read the above!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Robert, that's very helpful information and thanks for the link too. It all makes very good sense and has definitely helped. Once again, many thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Robert_Larsson :Thanks for the information and the tag. The information on the statistical distributions you shared makes a lot of sense.

I would just like to add that I have been officially diagnosed with IBS-D by a good Gastro and this is not a self diagnosis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just like to thank you both again @Kenny and @Robert_Larsson for your replies. I had a CT virtual colonoscopy about two weeks ago (new doc being thorough) and reading your comments has greatly reduced my stress, awaiting the results, which I should get imminently. My rational head knows all about the low likelihood of anything 'serious' being discovered.... but it's my non rational head that does the worrying! 😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to add that the scan results were excellent news, nothing found of any concern at all 😁
So I once again feel both confident in the IBS diagnosis and also grateful I do not suffer (as yet at least) with the more severe symptoms I read of.
Perhaps a subgroup for those with mild symptoms would be a thing to consider, as something that certainly has been a stress factor for me is worrying that I am "Not ill enough", which sounds ridiculous on the face of it I know!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to add that the scan results were excellent news, nothing found of any concern at all 😁
So I once again feel both confident in the IBS diagnosis and also grateful I do not suffer (as yet at least) with the more severe symptoms I read of.
Perhaps a subgroup for those with mild symptoms would be a thing to consider, as something that certainly has been a stress factor for me is worrying that I am "Not ill enough", which sounds ridiculous on the face of it I know!
That's great news !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts