Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have IBS"D" but I also have a lot of back problems. I have a degenative disk along with 2 spurs in the same area. My Dr gave me a new pain med. It is called Darvocet. It helps with the pain better then what I was taking before and one of the side effects is constipation. Has anybody here on the board used this med for pain? I read on the readout that came with it that it could be habit forming. I'm supposed to go to a pain clinic at our hospital and probly end up getting a shot in my lower back. I'm not sure what I want to do, the shot of take a chance on a pain med that could be habit forming. I have read that lots of people get problems on these pain meds. Taffy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi TaffySorry you got all these other problems with your IBS.I've been on Darvocet but it was like taking a OTC for pain didn't help a bit. Hope it works for you better. Yes, it can habbit forming all drugs can be even OTC. The shot I think your reffering to is a Cortisone shot and that's not habit forming at all. Had one last year worked great! On my elbow. If you can get the surgery, bypass the pills and such. And go for the cure!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi TaffySorry you got all these other problems with your IBS.I've been on Darvocet but it was like taking a OTC for pain didn't help a bit. Hope it works for you better. Yes, it can habbit forming all drugs can be even OTC. The shot I think your reffering to is a Cortisone shot and that's not habit forming at all. Had one last year worked great! On my elbow. If you can get the surgery, bypass the pills and such. And go for the cure!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello, Taffy.I have a herniated disc in the lower back but I don't have a prescription for pain meds. I do take anti-inflammatories, however--for the back and for lupus--and I think they have been a better long term treatment in my case. Some anti-inflammatories can be constipating and some are hard on the stomach, especially if taken long term. Years ago, while I was waiting to get a hysterectomy my doc gave me darvocet. It worked really well for me (I had some small tumors on my uterus) but it was definitely habit-forming for me. I loved the buzz, so it's a good thing the prescription ran out I guess.Back pain is a horrible thing to live with. In my situation physical therapy and the anti-inflammatories helped a lot so my doc (neuro-surgeon) didn't recommend surgery--yet. He said we'd talk about it if the pain ever started shooting down my leg again.By the way, it was traction in physical therapy that gave me the most relief.Sorry you're in so much pain.love, -teresa

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello, Taffy.I have a herniated disc in the lower back but I don't have a prescription for pain meds. I do take anti-inflammatories, however--for the back and for lupus--and I think they have been a better long term treatment in my case. Some anti-inflammatories can be constipating and some are hard on the stomach, especially if taken long term. Years ago, while I was waiting to get a hysterectomy my doc gave me darvocet. It worked really well for me (I had some small tumors on my uterus) but it was definitely habit-forming for me. I loved the buzz, so it's a good thing the prescription ran out I guess.Back pain is a horrible thing to live with. In my situation physical therapy and the anti-inflammatories helped a lot so my doc (neuro-surgeon) didn't recommend surgery--yet. He said we'd talk about it if the pain ever started shooting down my leg again.By the way, it was traction in physical therapy that gave me the most relief.Sorry you're in so much pain.love, -teresa

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for yhe advice. shortly before posting I had taken one pill and in less then a hour I started getting light headed and then broke out in a sweat and ended up emptying my tummy for the next 8 hours. I'm still woosy some but I guess I will not be taking any more of that stuff. I have a very senative systyem. I came close to calling 911 several times last night but weathered it through. I'm dehydrated right now,but need to take in liquids very slow.I wish I could have surgery but there isn't a Dr that will do surgery on a degenitive condition on the back. It just makes the condition worse. My daughter has the same condition and about 10 years ago she went to a DR that did surgery 3 times and with no improvement. she realizes now all he wanted was the insurance money. She changed DRs and he finally ended up having to have a 4 way fussion. She is doing better but goes for the shots now. Taffy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for yhe advice. shortly before posting I had taken one pill and in less then a hour I started getting light headed and then broke out in a sweat and ended up emptying my tummy for the next 8 hours. I'm still woosy some but I guess I will not be taking any more of that stuff. I have a very senative systyem. I came close to calling 911 several times last night but weathered it through. I'm dehydrated right now,but need to take in liquids very slow.I wish I could have surgery but there isn't a Dr that will do surgery on a degenitive condition on the back. It just makes the condition worse. My daughter has the same condition and about 10 years ago she went to a DR that did surgery 3 times and with no improvement. she realizes now all he wanted was the insurance money. She changed DRs and he finally ended up having to have a 4 way fussion. She is doing better but goes for the shots now. Taffy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.