Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually they treat narcotic bowel syndrome with low dose antidepressants which is the usual pain treatment for IBS.Tricyclics and SNRI's tend to be a bit more constipating as is Remeron.SSRI's tend to loosen up the stools, with zoloft being the least likely to constipate.They also use antispasmodics, often with the antidepressants when the pain is bad.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One of the few and only things I have ever noticed that actually improved my D symptoms was pain meds. For whatever reason it completly slows down my digestion and maybe numbs the nerves down there?I won't take them for the same reason I won't take antidepressant's as I think they cause more issues then they help but they do work if your ok with the side effects.Personally, I would prefer the side effects of pain med's than the effects of antidepressants.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most narcotic pain meds derived from opium are constipating. It is a major side effect of all narcotic pain medications, often that is a big problem when people need them either after surgery or chronically for something like cancer.That is why the constipating side effect was isolated and sold as Imodium.The only problem is if you are someone that gets their gut nerves sensitized to pain your pain will be much much more severe and much harder to control. Usually they'd rather you use Imodium or Lomotil to control the diarrhea as they do not cause the same issues as the ones that get into the pain nerves.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I look at the Zoloft side effects,i'm not sure i want to gamble and end up constipated.http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/SertralineI wonder about Picosulfate sodium if it could help.It is now use for prep.In the meantime i use Dulcolax temporarly.
I only wish something would constipate me. Isn't that what your looking for a constipating affect from the opiods? Unless you have IBS-A or only mild D I seriously doubt anything will completly constipate you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only wish something would constipate me. Isn't that what your looking for a constipating affect from the opiods? Unless you have IBS-A or only mild D I seriously doubt anything will completly constipate you.
Well think about Lotronex or Rifaximin.It can have devastating effect on IBS-Cers.The Motility you lose migth be permanent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts