Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a 40 year old man on the verge of a breakdown. I was diagnosed with IBS about 15 years ago, although I'm sure I've had it longer than that. After going through a host of doctors and tests as a child I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at age 11, and put on meds (Sulfasalazine and Librax). I was pretty fortunate through my teens and 20's, with very few flare ups or issues. However, by my mid to late 30's, problems started to arise and I found myself going to my PCP and GI docs, only to get offered more meds that didn't work and no concrete answers. Every time, though, the pain usually went away and I went on with my life. The past 3 years have been the worst, though. I am not one who immediately goes to the doctor at the first indication of pain (I usually put it off until it's unbearable), because when I go, it's always the same thing. They press on my stomach, and then talk about tests I've had in the past and switching meds, but I'm so frustrated at the process I want to scream! I will say that I have been under a lot of stress, especially over the past year. I had been working at a very high stress job for 6 years, and it was definitely a factor in me feeling like hell. So after deliberating for so long and talking to my boyfriend about it, I decided to give my notice in May and leave in June. Shortly after that we took a vacation and I felt fine. Every now and then, though, I noticed I would have this crampy pain in my lower right side, and sometimes my left under the ribcage. Of course I feared it was appendicitis when it was the right side, but my doc told me it wasn't. These past 2 weeks have been hell. The side pain seems to have radiated to my belly and also the left side, and I feel bloated and distended, almost blocked, although I am having BM's at least once a day (and when I do, it's an uncomfortable amount -sorry TMI). I haven't lost my appetite, but the pain is not going away, and it feels like I just want to push my gut all the way out, if that makes sense. Also a bit difficult to pass gas. I am definitely stressed as I am looking for a new job, and I know stress exacerbates IBS, but WTF? I really don't want to go in for another CT scan. I think I had 4 last year alone (all came back normal), and I don't want to start glowing from the radiation! I'm trying to figure out if it's my diet, or the pills I'm taking. I'm a vegetarian (have been since the late 80's) but I DO eat cheese. I also take Align probiotic, Librax (still), Lialda (for Crohn's), Aciphex (I also have GERD), Folic Acid, and Flax Seed Oil, Calcium, and Multivitamin pills every day. Could it be the probiotics? I've been taking probiotics for the past 2 years now (either Flora-Q or recently Align). Oh, also I've noticed that this is all killing my sex drive. Another FUN side effect to all of this. Can anyone relate? My apologies for this very long long run-on story :unsure:OH-also, I've been working out about 3x a week for the past 2 months or so, and have been using an "ab crunch" device. Does anyone have issues when working out, especially ab exercises?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I can have trouble with certain ab exercises and pain too. Very annoying for sure! Do you think it is gas?? Try using a simethicone product with each meal for a bit and see if that helps. Use any and all stress relievers that you know to help you relax. I have also used heat patches on occasion to help with pain. They are usually marketed for back and/or muscle pain.. but I stick them on my ab.I know for myself... the IBS 100 Audioprogram was the best thing I did to manage my IBS pain. See the CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info.Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can have trouble with certain ab exercises and pain too. Very annoying for sure! Do you think it is gas?? Try using a simethicone product with each meal for a bit and see if that helps. Use any and all stress relievers that you know to help you relax. I have also used heat patches on occasion to help with pain. They are usually marketed for back and/or muscle pain.. but I stick them on my ab.I know for myself... the IBS 100 Audioprogram was the best thing I did to manage my IBS pain. See the CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info.Hope you feel better soon!
I actually decided to go see my doctor today. She seems to think it's trapped gas as well. She took blood tests, and advised me to cut back on my fruit intake (been eating more lately), and stop my probiotics, as well as try to manage my stress. Oh, and stop my cheese intake for a few days to see if that makes a difference. We'll see...Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.