Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into an old neighbor at a bookstore, coffee shop the other day and as usual with seniors we started talking about our bad health.She has horrible headaches which no one or nothing can help, it sounds like our IBS. She told me she got some over the counter pills from Canada called 222, they have asperin, caffine, and a small amount of codine in them, They are not available here inthe US. She said they really help with the pain and bouts of diarreha and vomiting that she must get from all the pain. The downside is you cannot take them all the time.Has anyone heard of them?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You can get codeine laced asprin and tylenol in the US. But you have to have a prescription for them (Tylenol 3 is the major thing).Codiene, like every narcotic, has antidiarrheal effects. Imodium is basically a narcotic that stays in the GI tract so you don't have the pain relief, euphoria, and other CNS effects that you get from codiene, morphine, opium, or any of the other narcotics.If codeine works for someone Imodium should also work and be a safer alternative. You do not have the same drowsiness or "drunkeness" concerns. Or the same sort of addiction potential.Lomotil is a prescription drug like Imodium but it gets into the CNS more so they have it as prescription. It is mixed with an antispasmodic that makes you really uncomfortable at high doses to try to reduce the addicting potential.There is one case of Imodium addiction in someone who was taking opiates as an addict previously...but to get a buzz it took like 160 pills at a time. They did have to use methadone to get the person off that.K.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
It is not a wise idea and you should talk to a doctor about taking narcotics for IBS. I could see where they may help migraness but not so much IBS pain.By the way I took two of them last night for some temporary back pain and my gut rumbled and did not like them.However, you should read this.""It is important to realize that narcotics are not indicated -- and can even be harmful and need to be avoided -- in treating chronic abdominal pain. Over long periods of time, narcotics may produce more pain causing a condition called "Narcotic Bowel Syndrome." http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/cfap.htm

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
speaking from the headache side, they sound similar to Fiorcet which has acetaminaphin (sp?), caffeine, and a barbituate. I used to take them for headaches when I got them really bad. I only took them infrequently as I was concerned about the long term effects. They are only available by presciption. I never remember any kind of effect on my IBS although in general, most medications mess with my digestive balance.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
222s are available, I believe, only by prescription here now. Anything with codeine you have to ask for behind the counter at the pharmacist. I don't recall seeing them there recently...I'll check in the next day or two.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here in the states you cannot get codeine. I know that here in S. Florida, most people stock up in the Bahamas. I also know that you can buy them in Europe right from the pharmacies. When I was on my cruise this past summer, all the Americans were running to the pharmacies in France to buy out the aspirin.
It was kinda funny.

G

·
Heck Yeah.My mom used to take them 30+ years ago for pain. Adults only. Had to be really really painful/ migraine to have a 222.You get them OTC at drugstores here. They are made by Merck Frosst. Most people go for tylenol 2 now or something stronger/newer.Here's the background on the old 222's:Tablet 217� (ASA + caffeine), so-called because it was the 217th item listed in the tablet section of the company's catalogue, was the first medication to combine acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) and caffeine to provide more effective relief of headaches and muscle pain. A year later, codeine was added to produce tablet 222� (ASA + caffeine + codeine), a formulation that was quickly copied world wide and continues to be copied to this day.Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts