Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else suffer with spasms of muscle pains in the back. I am often getting spasms of pain in different parts of my back. The pain jabs on and off for a few days, it feels like a strained muscle. Has anyone had this? Could it be trapped wind in my back?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi Donna,Yes I've had the same pain. It even woke me out of a dead sleep because it felt like someone was digging their elbow into my back. I haven't had it that bad for a long time, but I believe it is gas. I take Zelmac and don't eat too late or too many carbs. I hope you find something that could help. Have you tried Gas-X? It helps me with upper gas. Give it a try.Or maybe an antispasmotic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bellyknot, All i take at the moment is probiotics and magnesium tabs, I have really suffered this week with this pain in my back, always on just one side and it really feels like a strained muscle. Ive never heard of Gas X but will enquire at health shop near me. Unfortunately alot of the products I read about on here, we dont seem to get here. Hopefully, I will find some sort of relief soon. Thanks for responding to my cry for help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Donna,Gas-x is just an over the counter gas relief med. You may have it under another name. Doesn't the mag give you gas? It does me. I hope you are feeling better and also that you will have that back pain checked out. Maybe it is a strained muscle.There isn't a thing they'll do about it but maybe give you muscle relaxers. Do hot baths help?

·
Registered
846 Posts
ANOTHER brand of Gax-X is:phazyme.All any of them are is simethicone (sp?)

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Could it be trapped wind in my back?[?quote]If you don�t ever pass gas, then no.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Donna.. I have had trapped gas that has been so bad, I couldn't stand up straight. I always thought it was a pulled muscle and the doc even gave me a muscle relaxant over the phone last year because I couldn't get up or even walk to the kitchen.That time, it was up high across the middle of my back, and I could hardly breathe. I just had it happen again 2 days ago. This time it was down low in the middle of my stomach. It was really bad and I figured I would be in bed for a week as usual. I thought I pulled a muscle bending over. My IBS had been flaring up,and since this was in the front, radiating around to my back, I started to wonder if it was gas pains. I got out the heating pad, took Cat's Claw and then tried a Colon Cleanser tablet that night. The next morning it was much better and today it is nearly gone. I am convinced that when this "back" problem happens, it is gas..I was beginning to think I was crazy..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know whether its gas or not but I get the pain usually in lower left side. It doesn't usually spread to right side, although it did this attack. Normally I get the pain in the front and if it spreads to back (kidney area but its not kidneys) then I know I'm in for a bad attack http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/confused.gif The only thing that tends to help me is to take 5mg. diazepam 4 x day and that over 2-3 days alleviates all symptoms. BUT IT'S A REAL PAIN and you sure don't want to eat!I also get the bloating which can give me a distended stomach which is hard as a rock. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I can literally feel a hard bulge on my lower left side. It eventually disappears. Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Lynda, Im so glad you responded to my cry for help as I really have been thinking Im going mad. I have have these pains in my back now for more than 2 weeks this time. Ive had them so many times before and just couldnt quite pinpoint what I could of done to pull a muscle. Sometimes I can be fine during the day then all of a sudden, "BANG" Pain in full force again in my back and in different parts of the back. I have landed up this week having to take an antiflamotory tab and as u know that does not help with the IBS but if I dont take it then im stuck in bed for ages not being able to stand on my leg as that feels like a pinch nerve. Boy! I tell you, half the time i feel like a real old crock, Im surprised my hubby has not traded me in yet! LOL I really need to find some way to relieve this if it is wind as the pain is truly depressing me. So I will drink another colon cleanse myself tonight and tosed to better health for all of us!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Teresa, I can't call it pain, just very uncomfortable. Sometimes I get spasms, kind of an achy, throbbing pain in my lower abdomen, but this can happen whether I'm really bloated or not. Mostly what I get is lots of pressure and gas.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I suffer with trapped gas, also. Prescription anti-spasmodics really help with this. I have taken both Librax and Bentyl in the past and within an hour of taking a pill, I am able to pass the gas and the pain is gone.If you haven't tried a prescription anti-spas, I would highly recommend it.Good luck,stacey

·
Registered
563 Posts
Oh, mine passes! And passes...and passes...
for hours at a time. Bentyl helps the spasms alot, and a Bentyl and hour before eating, with simethicone at the start of the meal sometimes help the gas build-up quite a bit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi...Bentyl never helped me, made me sooo sleepy. I take Levbid, both are prescription meds. Smooth muscle relaxers. One of those, some Gas-X, and if someone is feeling generous, a good back rub, helps. Hope you feel better soon. I know how painful it can be.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Is there a prescription drug called Spasmonal or Dicetel in your country? They are both smooth-muscle relaxants (and are not available here in the U.S., so maybe they are where you are). They are also called anti-cholinergic drugs. They relax the smooth, involuntary muscles of the GI tract. For me these drugs are wonderful because when the smooth-muscles are relaxed, the pain goes away and the gas flows freely and out.Stacey

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the processof being diagnosed. Im nervous and worried. Is it normal to have lower abdominal pain constantly. It's like I can almost pinpoint the spots where it's inflamed. I have been prescribed Levisin. Does it help? Does it make you sleepy? I have so many questions. Does spicy food make you hurt?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.