Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Today I went for my colonoscopy, and it showed everything is ok, so I guess that means I have IBS :-D. The Doc prescribed me Levsin, but I noticed that one of the side effects is constipation. I do not really have constipation or diarrhea, mostly Pain. Will Levsin make me really constipated? Should I take it just to relieve the pain? He told me I could experiment with it, so tonight I'll take it 30-60 minutes before my dinner, and see what happens.... But thanks for any info regarding this!Sincerely,Mel

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
It really varies with the constipation.Some people don't notice a thing, but for some people it can make them more constipated than usual (although for some people relieving the spasms eases the constipation as well...so your mileage may vary a lot).Remember side effects are not a list of what happens to everyone who takes it. Most of the time side effects occur in something like 0.1-10% of the people who take it, so there is no sure bet you are the one that will have that problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've always only taken it when needed... whenever the pain started, I'd take one and it would usually be gone within 5-10 mins. I haven't noticed excessive C with it, but I do tend to alternate D/C... when I first started taking it a couple years ago, the pain I got was really extreme... and I was taking the pills on a daily basis... but now I rarely have to take them, and the pain never gets anywhere near as bad as it used to... probably because I get rid of it before it gets bad now
so far this month I think i've taken 3 of the pills... and that's more than last month
so if you find yourself taking them fairly often... just keep in mind that it won't necessarily always be like that.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
I am also pain predominant IBS. The most effective pain management I have had is via Hypnotherapy. I use Levsin & Librax only occasionally. I had, knock me in half type pain and nothing worked as well as the hypno.Here is a thread with more info on it: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=11;t=000732 Hope this helps and that you feel better soon.BQ

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am also pain predominant, and was given Levsin. It did not help my pain, so the doctor thought I may not be having spasms at all. It is an anticholinergic, so it can have dehydrating effects like dry moouth and constipation. However, like Kmottis said, these are just possible S.E.s I never noticed any more C, and I am prone to C. However, xanax and glycerin suppositiories are the only thing that relieve my pain, even when I go 3 times a day I still need to be emptied out for some reason. As an atispasmodic como drug, Librax has worked better for me because it has some of the same qwualities as xanax (Librium), but since they can both be habit forming I'm trying to stick with the hypnotherapy, yoga, and glyc. for now.Good luck, I know pain sucks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.