Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard of people having problems with primarily pre-BM pain, especially from constipation, but I rarely have ever seen anyone discuss post-BM pain which is a major issue for me. I don't understand why it happens, but for some reason after I void, my pain can occasionally become even worse. I also have been falling under very strong tired spells after BMs as well, which can last for an hour or two. It can happen even without straining, and with a soft stool. Its a very dull, but strong sort of pain, much like a cramp, that is on both sides of my belly. Typically, the pain I normally experience is more sharp but somewhat weak, and can become even more painful if I need to sit down for long periods wearing pants. However, that type of pain is usually due to excessive/trapped flatulence buildup, or full bowels, but can usually be relieved as long as I am able to pass it. Lastly, I should also mention that sex or even just sexual arousal seems to provoke my bowels and makes me much more prone to post-BM pain, and I have been forcing myself to abstain as much as possible.Does anyone know what is wrong with me, or have similar problems? Are these likely bowel spasms that I am experiencing? Because I have read somewhere before that once the bowels are relieved of a high amount of pressure, they sometimes can over-close and cause spasms to occur. I can't imagine what else it could be, but it is definitely strange and very complicated to deal with to say the least, and I have contemplated fasting many times because of it. Its like a never-ending cycle of recurring pain that always eventually sets my recovery cycle back by weeks, and this has been going on for so many months now that I am beginning to lose hope that I'll ever stay pain free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have similar issues with pain AFTER a BM. I've always described it (in my head) as a clenching type of pain, but it's mostly a generalized(I don't like to use the word "dull" because it makes it seem like it's not bad) pain on my sides and sometimes across the transverse colon. It happens after every movement, sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours. And the only position that doesn't make it worse is laying down, sitting is havoc... Unfortunately, I don't know what it is(sorry), but know that you're not the only one suffering with this.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One thing to remember with IBS is there are a few different things that can be part of what causes pain.The pain lessens after a BM is part of a common phenomenon called rectal hypersensitivity. In this it sends pain and urgency signals way too strong for the volume of stuff in it. That pain will go away when you empty the rectum. It is not the one and only source of pain in IBS and not everyone has it (something like 70% do). Since this isn't really common in anything else it is a good symptom to use to rule in IBS because if you have it, you mostly likely have IBS and happens to a lot of IBSers.However, some people have problems with pain from general colon activity. I'm not sure if I've read what the colon does right after a BM, but it responds to other things going on other parts of the GI tract with activity so it wouldn't be impossible it does some moving things after a BM.People also can have pain from when parts of the colon distend or when anything pushes in on part of the colon (like a waistband).So you don't need to have less pain after a BM, but it is common.Other things that can cause pain after a BM are hemorrhoids, fissures, and sometimes pelvic floor issues like proctalgia fugax or levator ani syndrome (that one is made worse with sitting but the pain tends to be low and a common description is like sitting on a ball).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely suffer from pain from sitting, but lately it hasn't been nearly as severe and typically doesn't bother me if I sit down with only boxers on. I have bought myself a soft portable cushion that I bring with me everywhere and even use with my office chair at home, and that has seemed to help me. But the pain I have doesn't come from my anal cavity or anywhere on my butt at all, but rather is all up front in my gut. If pain is already present, it is made worse not specifically just by sitting down, but mostly due to anything pushing up against my gut (such as a belt like you mentioned), or hunching forward. If I am at home, in my own chair on my soft cushion, and am wearing only boxers, it typically does not make the pain worse (as far as I can tell). The pain is usually very isolated in small areas, and I sometimes can't even notice it at all unless I actively search for it by pressing down hard on certain spots. You mentioned pelvic floor issues, which is actually sometime I have done very thorough studying into, which made me suspect that I have CPPS (Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome), with hyper-irritable trigger points in my gut. I also know for a fact that a very large portion of CPPS sufferers also acquire IBS (or IBS like symptoms), which is what drove me to eventually see a GI to confirm the presence of my IBS and come here to seek additional help. To say the least, I've had quite a confusing history with this pain, and many issues & concerns that weren't specific to one type of disorder or syndrome. The fact that sexual activity made my condition worse, along with bowel movements, is what initially lead me to believe it was CPPS related or some type of generic nervous system dysfunction.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have sometimes discomfort after a bm. Esspecially if it's several bm's or a soft/loose stool. I can't really describe the feeling. It's just a irritated feeling. It's also because sometimes I feel I still have stool in my bowls but it doesn't all come out which is really bothersome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.