Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering if anyone else has excruciating pain that makes them actually faint?I find that if I eat too much garlic (I can tolerate some, but rarely I misjudge and overdo the amount and so suffer the consequences) at my evening meal, I wake up at about 2am with stomach cramps and feeling nauseated. Almost like bad indigestion.I get to a stage where I know I have to go and sit on the toilet.Once I'm there, the cramping pains get so bad that I go weak as water, break out in a cold sweat all over my body, and then actually pass out. I do somehow manage to remain propped on the loo, though.Once I pass a bowel motion (usually a normal one) I am instantly ok again.My husband tells me at those times I turn the most awful gray colour.Obviously I avoid a lot of garlic, but I do love it. If I cook the meal myself I can limit the amount I put in, but now and then when eating out, the amount is obviously just over what I can tolerate and this happens.It has been happening to me on and off for many years and has been put down to ibs. It would make me feel a little better if I knew other people suffered this particular problem, too_Oh, and it doesn't seem to happen if I eat garlic earlier in the day, only at night time.Janne

·
Registered
408 Posts
YES. I have this too. Not sure if it is related to garlic or not. I have woken up w/ SEVERE and I mean SEVERE abdominal cramping to the point where I have to bite down on something and I cry.If I run to the loo, sometimes a bowel function doesn't happen. It just feels like it wants to.I've never passed out but I have had chills, fevers, sweats and down right agnozing/killing pain. This will last 1-8 hours. It will wipe me out physically to the point of pure exhaustion.It's the worse.Maybe don't eat garlic if you know that's what it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, I just can't imagine going through what you do for up to 8 hours. It must just about kill you suffering like that.With me, it lasts for about twenty or thirty minutes at the most, I think. Usually the nausea wakes me up, then the stomach cramps begin, but I'm fortunate that I always manage to come good immediately after I have a bowel motion, the pain stops then as if by magic.I'm usually just exhausted and have to have a quick shower to warm myself from the soaking cold sweat before collapsing back into bed and a really deep sleep.And you are absolutely right of course, knowing that it's garlic I should avoid it completely. But as this has only happened about 10 times in the last fifteen years or so, and because I've given up so many other foods that I really enjoy when they've caused the same reaction ... almonds, chocolate, bananas etc. ... I try to persevere with garlic and just try to be careful with the amount I use. Mainly because I just feel that my diet ends up so bland at times ... and at least a little of what you fancy does you good. Considering that I have a meal with garlic at least once a week, the odds are with me so far.But yes, I do regret when I overdo it. I really just wanted to know if anyone else suffered the similar type of reaction that I do with garlic (or any other food).
J.
quote:I've never passed out but I have had chills, fevers, sweats and down right agnozing/killing pain. This will last 1-8 hours. It will wipe me out physically to the point of pure exhaustion.It's the worse.Maybe don't eat garlic if you know that's what it is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never actually fainted before. But I have had excruciating pain. I've had such pain that I've puked from it, i've layed curled up in the fetal position shaking and crying profusely because there's nothing that I can do for it. In class, I've doubled over and gotten hot flashes and the shakes. I don't think this is normal, but I don't know what to do about it. It's from gas, or bloating, or constipation, or the big "D". It's just a part of my life now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts