Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's IBS has improved considerable from six months ago, but she wants to get even better so she continues to try other products. So many of you say that fiber has helped. Every time she has tried fiber products, even products with tiny amounts of psyllium included she develops awful pain, bloating and gas. She has tried to continue but she can only last around two weeks, she feels it is needed but the pain is to much. How many of you can tolerate fiber or have problems with it? Also any suggestions in how to tolerate it for the difficult initial period would be greatly appreciated.Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bill- What is she taking? Maybe if she took a different kind of fiber she could tolerate it better. I have had good results with Fibercon, which I know is not psyillum(sp). I think that Equalactin is a similar product. The down side of any fiber is increased gas and more stool production (in my experience)but for me it has been tolerable and a definate improvement in my IBS. If she is also adding fiber to her diet it is advisable to go very slowly so as to allow your body to get used it. I imagine this could be true for the supplements too, so maybe it would be worth a shot for her to start out with 1/2 of the dose(Fibercon, Equalactin, Citrucel) per day and try to slowly increase it. Hope this helps
------------------Nancy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She has taken Fibercon, Perdiem, Colodyne and a number of other fibers in the past, and they all just cause her terrible pain. She starts by taking tiny amounts and that even causes her problems. Natural fiber in fruits and vegetable are usually OK except for cabbage, broccoli, and corn. She feels that if her body could get use to fiber supplementation it could be help her system, but she just can't make it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bill...if your wife wants to continue taking the fiber supplements, but cannot handle the excess gas it is producing for her...maybe she could try taking Simethicone with the fiber. Simethicone is an over the counter drug which neutralizes gas production. I've used in in conjunction with a colonoscopy prep and it really help relieved the gas. It comes in chewable and caplets. It doesn't interact with other drugs and isn't expensive. It's a very safe drug. You can find it in your local drug store in the aisle with Tums, etc. The generic brand works just as well. Maybe this can help your wife deal with the gas, so she can build up a tolerance to the extra fiber. Hope this helps! Good luck! HAK : )

·
Registered
545 Posts
I take plain physilium froma heath food shop, (ie no additives) in a glass of water. Ive had problems with comercial fibre suppliments , im assuming due to the stuff thay use to make it palatable. If she tries just plain physilium start really low, like about a desert spoon of it mixed with a glass of water once a day and work up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.