Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do have hypertension for which I take 4 meds for. There is not any one thing I can determine that sets off an attack. It comes when it comes. Yesterday I was doing the education portion of a new job and had to quit because the pain was so intense I couldn't concentrate. I do not have, at this time, periods of diahhrea or constipation. I have been told by my doctor that I have some irritation to my stomach linin
and a small hietal hernia. The pain is in the epigastric region directly below my sternum and will radiate to my back. The pain in my back will be in my upper back. My doctor has no answers and says that test are being done for 4 or 5 new meds but until then there is nothing he can do or recommend. I have suffered with this pain for 3 years now and it hurts like ----!! What is weird is I used to drink ice water and that would make it quit, usually. Also if I could throw up, not because I was nauseated, but just the action of the muscles when you throw up seem to be the reason it would stop. However, the episodes are becoming more frequent and nothing seems to help with quick results anymore. I have come to the point that I would participate in any ,medical trial that shows some hope. I have had 3 colonoscopes and 2 broncoscopes an ultrasound and an MRCP and it shows nothing.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Is your doctor a gastroenterologist?What dd he say was causing the "irritation to my stomach lining"Do you take nasids?There are many ways to treat pain in the gut.Also, if this doc s not helping get a second opionion.also there is something called chronic functional abdominal pain, with out d or c. Another functional disorder.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Is your doctor a gastroenterologist?What dd he say was causing the "irritation to my stomach lining"Do you take nasids?There are many ways to treat pain in the gut.Also, if this doc s not helping get a second opionion.also there is something called chronic functional abdominal pain, with out d or c. Another functional disorder.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Stressors can set IBS or even stomach problem off in general.A new job and education aspects, like if you were speaking can contribute to it.There is a very strong relationship between the gut and the brain. Also all pain is processed in the brain.Chronic Functional Abdominal PainBy: Douglas A. Drossman, M.D., Professor of Medicine & Psychiatry, Co-Director UNC Functional GI Disorders Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/CFAP.html

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Stressors can set IBS or even stomach problem off in general.A new job and education aspects, like if you were speaking can contribute to it.There is a very strong relationship between the gut and the brain. Also all pain is processed in the brain.Chronic Functional Abdominal PainBy: Douglas A. Drossman, M.D., Professor of Medicine & Psychiatry, Co-Director UNC Functional GI Disorders Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/CFAP.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suffer from the exact same problem. I have upper stomach pain that radiates to my back and neck. Wow, I can't believe I found someone that has the same symptoms. I cannot pin point what sets mine off. I've been taking previcid for a few years now for this. My GI Doc told me that it may be caused by acid reflux.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suffer from the exact same problem. I have upper stomach pain that radiates to my back and neck. Wow, I can't believe I found someone that has the same symptoms. I cannot pin point what sets mine off. I've been taking previcid for a few years now for this. My GI Doc told me that it may be caused by acid reflux.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply Mustafa. I don't have hearburn or acid reflux. I just wish I could find a reason. I remember when I was younger I weighed around 200lbs. and I would have to sleep practically sitting up. If I slept laying down I would have reflux that would take my breath away.Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply Mustafa. I don't have hearburn or acid reflux. I just wish I could find a reason. I remember when I was younger I weighed around 200lbs. and I would have to sleep practically sitting up. If I slept laying down I would have reflux that would take my breath away.Anyway thanks again.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
NY Times"The symptoms vary. About a third of sufferers have constipation, another third have diarrhea and the rest alternate between the two. Bloating after meals and lower abdominal pain are also common, as are severe fatigue, sleep difficulties, low interest in sex, hopelessness and tension, a recent study in The Archives of Internal Medicine says.""The syndrome was once thought to be simply a visceral response to stress, because doctors could find no biological explanation. As a result, many patients felt that their doctors gave their problem short shrift or, worse, implied it was all in their heads. "People with I.B.S. are sensitized to doctors' thinking they're crazy," Dr. Fisher said. Recent studies indicate that the syndrome may arise from problems in the working of the colon and in the connection between the brain and the colon. "The brain and bowels are wired with a series of nerves," Dr. Brennan M. R. Spiegel, a gastroenterologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, said. "If you have I.B.S., you're wired up in a slightly different way, and that can cause diarrhea, constipation or pain."Studies have shown that people with the syndrome are more sensitive to colon pain and that their brains process the pain abnormally. Stress and anxiety can lead to symptoms or worsen them, but those factors do not cause the disorder, experts say.Abnormal functioning of serotonin in the colon also appears to promote irritable bowel syndrome. In the brain, serotonin is thought to influence mood. But in the colon, where 95 percent of the body's serotonin is found, it helps produce the normal contractions of peristalsis." http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=10;t=001043

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
NY Times"The symptoms vary. About a third of sufferers have constipation, another third have diarrhea and the rest alternate between the two. Bloating after meals and lower abdominal pain are also common, as are severe fatigue, sleep difficulties, low interest in sex, hopelessness and tension, a recent study in The Archives of Internal Medicine says.""The syndrome was once thought to be simply a visceral response to stress, because doctors could find no biological explanation. As a result, many patients felt that their doctors gave their problem short shrift or, worse, implied it was all in their heads. "People with I.B.S. are sensitized to doctors' thinking they're crazy," Dr. Fisher said. Recent studies indicate that the syndrome may arise from problems in the working of the colon and in the connection between the brain and the colon. "The brain and bowels are wired with a series of nerves," Dr. Brennan M. R. Spiegel, a gastroenterologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, said. "If you have I.B.S., you're wired up in a slightly different way, and that can cause diarrhea, constipation or pain."Studies have shown that people with the syndrome are more sensitive to colon pain and that their brains process the pain abnormally. Stress and anxiety can lead to symptoms or worsen them, but those factors do not cause the disorder, experts say.Abnormal functioning of serotonin in the colon also appears to promote irritable bowel syndrome. In the brain, serotonin is thought to influence mood. But in the colon, where 95 percent of the body's serotonin is found, it helps produce the normal contractions of peristalsis." http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=10;t=001043

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.