Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wonder if we all might discuss the coexistence of anxiety/panic with IBS-D. Does anyone out there find that this is so in their cases? There is nothing worse, for me, then being stricken with D and then being gripped by panic or strong anxiety.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me the two definitely coexist. If I'm having problems with my Panic Disorder, I can count on having diarrhea. Before I started on Paxil, I could count on having an IBS attack followed by anxiety. Now that I'm on the meds (my docter's and I decided that some of it was chemical after 6 years of CBT and a strong genetic factor)I will only have the anxiety following and IBS attack if my stomach feels queasy or if it comes too early in the morning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If I felt that I might have a problem and was afraid I wouldn't get to a bathroom in time, I would get extremely anxious, and that exacerbates the problem even further. Since using Mike's tapes I have had a lot of relief from anxiety---Donna

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Wounded Healer, they are learning that the gut and the brain are both operative in IBS. This is a complicated process between the brain in the gut or enteric nervous system and the brain.Here is some info from one if not the most respected Dr studying IBS.The UNC is the top functional disorders research facility in the country. http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/clinicalIssues.html Pet scan images in of the brain in IBS. http://webpotential.com/uploadpic/ They have known and been studying this now for a while.Here is one on the gut brain that explains this better. http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/...2/partner2.html

·
Registered
236 Posts
Honestly, the only panic attack I get has to do specifically with needing to go.I don't have D just because I'm having a bad day. It's almost always in reaction to suffering from D or worse, getting a D attack in my pants.If I'm starting to think about having to go and seeing nowhere to go, I'll get an attack.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Been there and just keep on being there- All I have to do is think about what if I have to go and there is no bathroom or it is a far distance from where I am and guarenteed I will get a big D attack. What if i #### my pants right here in the store, how will I make it out to the car-now a major panic attack take place. I know it is addictive but I have heard that Xanax taken right when this bull #### starts going through your mind can help some people. I have Xanax, but take it to sleep at night, I am afraid it would make me sleepy and then how will I drive home if I took it at a store or resturant.

·
Registered
283 Posts
These definitely go hand in hand for me! Actually my first panic attack was triggered by an IBS-D "accident". For months I was afraid to leave the house if I was going somewhere where I wasn't "exactly" sure where the bathroom was, even if I didn't feel like any rumbling was going on down there. I did get some counseling though. It didn't help the IBS-D part because they tried digging through my whole life to find the cause of the anxiety. Then the
clicked on, I had seen my father have panic attacks 30 years ago and didn't know what they were. Now I can partly understanding why he was an alcoholic.Anyway, sorry to drift..... I think it's a catch-22, panic triggers the IBS-D, vice versa. Maybe some day I'll try the hypno tapes myself and see if that helps. Unfortunately my first counselor tried hypnotherapy and wasn't very good at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey wounded healer! I'm right there with you! I had a panic attack related to D once in my boyfriend's car and nearly passed out! It was awful. The main problem I have is with school...see, I'm terribly afraid of public washrooms and at school try finding a bathroom without someone in it. IT's not the cleanliness aspect of the bathroom it's the privacy. I start to panic and I'll lock myself in a stall and cry until everyone is gone. I've tried relaxation techniques, but i think a professional would be better for me to see. There's a book I'm reading out there relating to anxiety called "from panic to power". It's not IBS related, but I've found that some of the suggestions are useful. I also combine my more "positive" thinking with immodium. That seems to snuff out some of the anxiety as well. Hope some of that was helpful for you! :love:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anxiety is THE trigger for me (ok sometimes I don't even have to be anxious for a D attack to hit). God, if only butterflies in the tummy would just stay put like normal people and not take that trip down south. And I think they are right, it is a catch22, D attacks bring on panic attacks - panic attacks bring on D attacks for me anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Defintely....I have had panic disordres since I was about 8 or 9...didnt know that was what it was until I was about 30...Doc prescribed Remeron.....helps with the stomach and defintely no more panic attacks....ask your doc about this drug..also known as mirtazipine.Good Luck

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
wow, its amazing how many people have panic attacks that trigger D . It sure happens to me. If I know a bathroom is nearby I am usually ok, or more relaxed, but it is usually when I am far far away from the bathroom, that I get one.. and I don't know which is worse, the D or the feeling of intense panic. Anyway... it makes things a lot worse. All I need to do is have one episode of D while I am out, and the next time I go to that same place, I worry that I will have another incident, and sure enough, I get stomach pains. I know it is tied into my thoughts also.My family tells me to just " get over it".. yeah sure, easier said than done.Well good luck to all of you..Nice to know we are all out there

·
Registered
159 Posts
hello all, i remember well the first time i had a D attack. i was just a kid running from the bombs that where raining down on my hometown in Europe. talk about fright and flight. there is no doubt that the brain rules the gut. of course these days i get stressed out just by christmas shopping and wrestling with the turkey. take care one and all, MALI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm knew here but it is so great to hear that so many people have the same thing i have. I thought it was just me. I have anxiety about public restrooms too. If anyone is in there, i just cant go, so i get anxiety about that too and it makes it worse. My mom had to get me a key to her house so i could go there when ever i just HAVE to go. Thank you guys for sharing. It makes me feel alot better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You guys sound so much like me. I just can't use a public restroom. Between the 'noise' and accompanying 'odor', I am so mortified. Of course this causes me to feel panic if I get that first twinge. I also relate to the butterflies in the stomach. Why do they have to travel? Oh, to be normal!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It always makes me feel just a little bit better knowing I am not alone out there! In the past few years I have developed a huge anxiety to public restrooms! It's not the cleanliness either, it's the privacy! I only want to use a private restroom, where I can sit in peace and have an attack. Not worry about someone beside you listening or smelling what is going on. I actually quit my last job, because there was only one restroom with 2 stalls. I got so sick with anxiety wondering what if I went and someone came in! It makes my heart race just thinking about it. Along with that I didn't make it to my house when I got an attack once. I was five minutes from my house! Now that I know that I sometimes I just can't hold it, this leads to more anxiety. Sometimes I can't relax, because that time I really tried to talk to myself to feel okay, "It's going to be okay, relax, your going to make it" and poof I didn't. I am so scared to take prescription meds, I barely take ibuprofen. I only take imodium. So I totally understand the anxiety from having D, which will then lead to D, or vica-versa. It really is a sick cycle. I just have to add one more thing. My boyfriend and I were talking last night after watching a movie. He said when he was a wrestler in high school all the wrestlers would have D at the same time after taking laxatives to lose weight. They needed someone to talk to, since they would go for a while. I was shocked, I could never go in front of other girls! I can't even think of it. One time I got really sick, and when I was washing my hands, some girl actually looked me up and down and then continued to glare at me! Is she so perfect?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey hey hey!I totally know what you're talking about -- I have both of those together and it's been HELL! This fall I finally sucked it up after suffering for like 11 years and went to the counseling department at the university I go to. The counseling was worthless ("no, I do not have an eating disorder, and no I am not depressed - I HAVE PANIC ATTACKS!! Arch!!") but they sent me to a shrink who perscribed me a really freakin' low dose of Paxil and it's changed everything! I only seem to explode like every two weeks or so, when I used to get diarrhea that wouldn't go away for days. Plus, the panic attacks have virtually stopped. the stuff is a godsend -- I joke with my friends that the whole country should take this stuff and everyone would be soooooo much happier. I thought it was going to change my personality, but it hasn't at all. Talk to your Dr. about this stuff -- it's wonderful!! Yay! Hope this helps.Katie

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.