Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe I found a site for IBS. This is the best thing that could happen to me. I have had IBS for over 20 years and it has ruined my life. I have had a phobia of going out of the house because I am afraid of the terrible cramps and then of having to go to the bathroom. I have to know where every bathroom is if we go out. I am tired of living this way. The doctor once asked me if the IBS gave me anxiety attacks or the anxiety gave me IBS. It took me along time but I truly believe that the IBS gives me anxiety attacks. I am afraid to eat when we go out incase the I have to leave because of the cramps and I will never go in someone elses car because I dont want to ruin their fun. My husband has been very good about this but we have no real friends and I know it is because of this stupid IBS. If there is something you know that will help please tell me. I am currently on LEVSIN but it gives me dry mouth and sinuses. I get one good week with a regular bowel movement and I am exited I would like to live a normal life.

G

·
Welcome aboard Jayne. I too have severe anxiety and just discovered that it was the IBS that started it...all though I had a hint for years. PLEASE don't let this get the best of you. I've had PD for 23 years now and most of the time I stay home...alone.It's soooo easy to get caught in that trap because you just don't want to get sick or ruin the others fun. Boy you sound like me. I missed out on alot of my kid's school things because of this. Course back then NOTHING was diagnosed properly. I'm glad you found this place. I have to admit, I haven't been on for a while as I'm just coming out of a deep depression, but this board is GOOD and the people are very caring.Never be afraid to ask anything ok?Take careOh by the way, Levsin is supposed to make your mouth dry. That way you know you have enough..so says my DR. And personally, if i only poop once a day instead of 10 or 12 times, Im in never never land.
Autumn[This message has been edited by autumnmist (edited 07-18-99).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dear Jayne, I know exactly how you feel. for the past 5 years, I have been dealing w/ agoraphobia, bi-polar disorder, and IBS-D. Until recently, I suffered to the point of incredible fear and had to have my mom do everything outside of the house for me. I could bearly take my kids to the bus stop. My husband left us (me & 2 kids) because he couldn't deal w/ it. Anyway 2 years later, he still can't. I found most of my problem was the result of my meds. I did some research, as a result of this bulletin board, and as a result, I found some great information. Anyway, I found that my meds were there cause of most of my problems. Since a long talk w/ my shrink, my meds were changed and I have finally gotten most of my life back. I can finally get out and do more and more things w/ my kids and I'm even thinking of trying to try and go back to work. I'm scared as hell but, i finally feel ready for it. It's a long story and maybe some day I'll get more in depth. But you've done the right thing by posting here. If you want to chat more you can email me if you like. Hang in there and keep fighting. Good Luck and God Bless!

G

·
Jayne-I am where you are! It's like you took the words from my mouth! I get them too. I will go out and do stuff because I am determined not to let this get the best of me. I just make sure I know where the bathrooms are at all times. When I get the attcks I can get myself into a great depression. I want to strangle the docs that tell me that they can find nothing worng with me. My biggest fear is that I will get some severe pain an not be able to find a bathroom to relieve it! I was using Levsin for a long time but it did nothing for me. I am now on Doxepin and that seems to work a lot better for me. I still get a lot of pain but not as many and they are farther between attacks. I hope that you will find what works for you. Ask your doc about this med. The non generic name for doxepin is Sinequan(SP?). Hang in there we are here for you!MRW

G

·
Dear Jayne:Been there and done that--many hundreds of times for the past 26 years--the diarrhea attacks, the avoidance, the depression. You are most definitely not alone. I was SO relieved when I found this group two weeks ago. In our society, it seems discussing bowel problems are such a taboo--but here, everything is okay--diarrhea, gas, constipation, the whole nine yards--and it really helps to talk about it. There are so many things that help, but it seems to vary from person to person. I took Levsin 20 years ago and remember it didn't work then. There are tricyclic antidepressants (like Sinequan, as MRW suggested) and soluble fiber (like Metamucil)and Imodium and Bentyl. If you are really bothered by the side-effects of a prescription drug, many on this site have recommended Caltrate Plus, which is just a calcium supplement, and have had very good results with that. Just keep reading the postings. We also have a very lively chat in the chatroom on Monday evenings at 9 (Central time), which is very therapeutic for me. Those of us with diarrhea think if we could just be constipated ONCE, all our troubles would be over. But then the constipation sufferers say "C" is no piece of cake, either. Hope some of my ramblings have helped. You can e-mail me anytime.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Jayne - I'm so glad you found this board! Here you will find lots of people that can relate to what you are going through and care. I have found you can discuss anything here and don't have to be embarrassed. My IBS also has produced anxiety and then that anxiety makes my IBS worse. I'm gald that the Levsin is giving you at least normal week - during those days you feel better go out for a short while to build up your confidence (somewhere where you know where the batherooms are). Try Caltrate Plus and Immodium AD -they have helped me and many others.

G

·
Jayne: Welcome to the board! I can only echo what the others have said - you are welcomed here and don't be afraid to ask anything and everything, most everyone on here are kind and helpful. As others have mentioned the Caltrate has been a great help to those of us with IBS-D. Read some of the messages from the past for details. I've had IBS-D for years and have been taking the Caltrate without fail since January. It's almost stopped my diarrhea completely. I still have bloating and pain sometimes, but no D. I still start to panic when I have rumblings, but they don't mean D anymore! I do suffer from anxiety also - it causes my IBS which causes my anxiety...endless cycle. Good luck and welcome again! KarenR

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Jayne, interesting that I should find your post at this very moment. I just got home from having a panic attack at a restaurant. I'd been too busy to eat all day, and when I took the first bite of food I immediately had to run to the restroom 3 times with violent diarrhea. Thought I was going to throw up the whole time. Trying to sit there and hold it down while the rest of the family finished eating, I just wanted to be OUT of there so bad. We were all supposed to go out to eat then bowling, but I had them drop me off at home. I feel like such a freak. To all of you who have suffered with panic attacks for a while: isn't there any medication that helps? I have heard of cognitive behavior therapy and affirmations and such, but the physical and mental symptoms are so overwhelming, I can't imagine halting them by mind control alone. I can see how easy it would be to become stuck at home, afraid to risk more public humiliation. I've had IBS for 15 years and gotten fairly used to coping with it, but panic attacks have added a whole new dimension in misery.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi Jayne! Welcome to the board! I know where your coming from also. I get a big panicy feeling everytime someone mentions going out. Or OUT TO EAT!! Oh just typing that gives me the creeps!! And although I'm doing wonderfully on the Caltrate Plus I still can't eat like I want to. I still don't have that stress free feeling that I can go anywhere I want. It's horrible. I'm glad you found the board, you'll get alot of support and understanding here!~Jennifer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts