Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I dont suffer from any psychological problems but recently in the last couple of nights..i have not any sleep. Basically near bedtime i have this urge to go...so i try once...then a churning persists in the lower bowel while i try to sleep....its telling me to not to go straight away but..its as if my bowels dont wont to sleep..ie they are active..and contracting...not in pain but as if you may have to go in a few minutes.when i to go...to sort them out, nothing occurs but i can feel the pressure inside.The thing i'm concerned about is i'm so worked up about it and get palpitations and feel i can't sleep due to the awake bowel. Is this a sort of panic attack....at night...i dont get it during the day....I'm not a panic type of person but is this IBS related or something else?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
CW5, you don't have to be a 'panic type person' to get panic attacks. A consultant told me today that as a person, I have no tendency to be panicky, anxious or tense in my everyday living, but I have suffered from panic attacks - so, they don't really affect a 'type' of person. Palpitations can be a sign of panic attack, so can rapid breathing, light-headedness, a feeling that something awful is about to happen. You might want to talk to your doctor about it to be sure. Anxiety can be overcome by self-help measures such as relaxation, visualisation, breathing exercises yoga; cognitive behavioural therapy; or medication. susan

G

·
Panic...hmmmm..had that for 24 years now and not fun. What your describing is not a true panic attack as they come on for no reason whatsoever. We all have our danger alert for lack of a better word, but in panic attacks that alert is altered and fires when there is no need. I think what you may be having is a bout of panic that is brought on by lack of sleep and by the worry that you may have to hit the bathroom and won't make it. We ALL have that fear don't we?? Does the feeling at night feel like when your out and about and your guts start churning and you don't KNOW where a bathroom is?? The tense feeling..heart racing etc. The stress of this "new" thing thats happening is enough to make you panic..but as I said earlier, Panic attacks come on for NO REASON.You obviously have a reason and your body is reacting in the normal way...just as it would if you were in physical danger. Maybe you could try to tell yourself that nothing bad is going to happen and try to ignore the tummy thing. And I say TRY. Its hard I know, but the lack of pain is a good thing. Try and focus on that. Let me know how things go ok?? We're all in this together.Deb

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
To me, what you describe may not entirely be a panic attack. I have similar rumblings with my gut between 3 am and 6 am. Usually don't really have to go to the bathroom until 7 am...sometimes a bit later. Those same rumblings make it hard for me to sleep too...I get kind-of hot even if the room is cool. The palpations you describe (which I sometimes experience too) sound like a panic attack, but I think those feelings often accompany the other irritable bowel syndrome symptoms regardless of your anxiety level.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Deb ,Steve and Star,Your helpful comments are a reasurrance to me.The attacks have reduced in frequency and come on for NO Reason. I can always make it to the Bathroom on time, thankfully since they occur at home..and also bcos when i go there is nothing there anyway. Its a kind of false alarm in my gut telling me get ready for it..but its a delayed sort of alarm...i mean i know that i'll probably can wait for 1/2 to an hour before it hits...Steve ..I do get hot too even when its cool in the room and I keep thinking i must have a temperature or something..but everything is Ok...i think the palpitations..usually set that off(hot feeling). Its hard to calm down but drinking cold water helps a bit or a walk down to the bathroom...even if i dont do anything...however it can return just before I get shut eye..and it wakes me up...and I'm trying to battle with it so i can get some sleep...since i get up for work at 7am...any sleep i get is from 4am.It can be draining for 3-4 nights..when you have the other IBS symptoms too...I've taken imodium and it has helped so far...lets hope so.Thank you all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.