Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, I suffered from panic attacks. I think there were related to my IBS. Has anyone else experienced panic attacks?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I have too. I've noticed in the majority of posts that I have read that most of us suffer from some anxiety issues related to IBS. The panic attacks are really scary though. What are you doing about it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have panic and anxiety attacks all the tim e. I didn't know it was a common thing with people with IBS. I don't take anything for them, I am trying to control, them myself right now , and it is sooo hard. I mean IBS is hard enough but panic attacks!!1

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep, I started getting them out of the blue after I'd had IBS for a while. I would *never* have been a candidate for them before. Very jarring.I use breathing techniques to control them. Working so far! I haven't actually had one in a while--I can pre-empt them now when they start. Yeah, it's unfortunately quite common. In my case I think it was more a buildup from all the strange, varying symptoms--sometimes with new ones coming along as time went on, or manifesting suddenly. Like I never used to have gas at night and then I did. *That* wasn't too scary...but other things were.I am actually curious if anyone who has them has taken flagyl. That is another area we are exploring. If you have, PM me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I never had panic attacks in my life until last year when the IBS would go into "D" periods, which really upset me. I felt like I was losing control of my body and emotions, and read in IBS books that the actual emotions can be triggered by the IBS, just as we all may contemplate that our emotions may trigger IBS. So it goes both ways!I started taking 1 mg of Lorazepam twice a day after calling the doctor during one very serious attack when I was having trouble breathing. Within 20 minutes I was back to being calm, and I have not had a panic attack since then (began taking it in July 2005).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey, Healthwise, which books did you read that in? Do they explain the mechanism of action? [I assume the gut/brain thing, but would be curious to read.]Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I suffer with them daily, but i dont want to take anything for it, im trying to battle it myself.

G

·
One word: Xanax.Without Xanax I would probably have lost my job by now. By about 10am the anxiety about what will happen after lunch is so overwhelming I can't function. Even with Xanax I frequently find myself just sitting and crying in the bathroom--even if my guts aren't freaking out...yet.Andrew

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My panic attacks abated after awhile. I became almost housebound for a while and decided that enough of enough. I am a stubborn old woman and I got over the panic attacks by myself. It took some doing but I won the battle.There are still some situations where I feel uncomfortable, but on the whole I haven't had a full blown attack over 20 years.I remember the attacks as being very scary.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I, too, have had panic attacks. A couple of years ago I had them really, really bad. So bad, in fact, that I almost constantly felt as though I was "separated" from myself...a real feeling of disconnect...almost like floating around in a dream-like state all the time. Very scary and very real. Xanax saved me big time. I started having anxiety and panic issues again about 9 or 10 months ago and started Effexor XR, which has been great. I still have minor feelings of panic/anxiety, but those feelings quickly subside (an effect of the medication I suppose.) Kind of weird to see that it is common in IBSers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts