Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,I was just wondering, does anyone know if an undetected parasite could cause inflammation? I've heard that some parasites can be tricky to find and sometimes go undetected and I'm wondering what the effects of that could be.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've been tested (through stool samples) for parasites twice, but both times nothing showed up. Someone told me though that sometimes with parasites you won't even get symptoms until months after you contracted the parasite. I'm not sure if this is true though. My symptoms started at the beginning of January (D every day)about 10 months after being in the Dominican Republic. It's seems to me that I would have noticed something sooner though if I had picked up something while down south -- perhaps I'm wrong? Also, I used to work in Northern Ontario at a Summer Camp, with last summer being my last summer there. I came down with a very random bout of D that lasted for 2 days in early July(so about 6 months before the every day D started). No one else was sick, and I hadn't recently been out on a canoe trip or anything where the food and water could have been sketchy.I know though that everyone gets random bouts of diarrhea every now and again. After that episode however,(and up until January) I would get a random bout (just a one time thing) about every 4-6 weeks. Perhaps I picked up a parasite while at camp like through a mosquito bite or something?Anyway, I know I've been tested and everything, but I just can't help wondering if there is more detailed testing that can and should be done for this sort of thing.(By the way, I have already had a flexible sigmoidoscopy back in Feb. which ruled out colitis... my gastro told me it was ibs and put me on Dicetel, which didn't work, then switched me to Questran, which isn't working so well either, so now I went to another gastro for a second opinion and he wants to do a colonoscopy and a biopsy. Eek!!!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hello Amy! Do you mind me asking how old you are? I do agree with you that a parasite would show up fairly quickly after exposure. I am asking how old you are because IBS usually starts in our teenage to early twenties years. Mine started when I was 18 and I am now 43.Leslie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally any parasite, or other pathogen (like a bacteria) detected, undetected or otherwise that your body recognizes as foreign will cause some level of inflamation.Inflamation is a by-product of your body's fight against the invading organism.Inflamation can also occur when your immune system gets "confused" (for lack of a better term) and starts attacking some part of itself.IBS symptoms can occur in the absense of inflamation from parasites, etc. Inflamation would show up in the scopes (esp the colonoscopy with biopsies)It could from a lot of things, not just undetectable parasites. FWIW information on parasites varies from highly reliable to very dubious depending on who you are getting the information from. Some alternative medicine types are very big on everything wrong with you being from parasites that often modern medicine and all the scientific labs in the world seem to be incapable of finding in the people who are told that they have them (how the alt. med types dectect them tend to be indirect...what show up in the iris of your eyse, etc.).K.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SOme parasites can take up to one year after initial exposure to cause symptoms. since you were in the dominican republic have yourself checked for malaria. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I am totally serious. It's tested with a blood test, not a stool specimen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malaria? really? Is D a symptom of Malaria? Wow, I would never have thought. Is it a simple test to get done? (ie. can I just ask my family Dr. in a routine blood test?)Leslie: I'm 24... perfect age to get IBS!!!Kmottus: this might be a dumb question, but how do they tell the difference between inflammation for a parasite or some other infection, and inflammation from Crohn's?Thanks everyone for your posts!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well other than testing for the parasite. I think IBD's is more ulcerative rather than rashy looking inflamation (but I know they often take biopsies to confirm so visual inspection isn't enough.I think the teens to mid-life (usually hear of it stating after middle age is rare, not just teens and twenties) may be that it is a combo of genetics and environment and the environmental factors are commonly run into during young/early to mid adulthood (like GI infections you got from friends) but as you get older all the people who are likely to get it already have it so in the 45 and older crowd you either have it already or are just not likely to ever get it.K.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Giardia is a parasidic infection which is common in third world countries with poor toilet hygiene, but is also the most common water borne diseases in the United States. (all over !) The symptoms are very similar to IBS. I'm not sure how they test for it, but the treatment is usually a course of Giardia focused anti-biotics. I think the recovery from this can take some time, and some people are more sensitive to catching it than others. (Eg the elderly, or those with sensitive digestive systems).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A co-worker just went through this.The diarrhea sounds more severe than you usually see with IBS (he was having some getting dehydrated issues). So more than I have a couple of loose BM's in the morning sort of thing.Tests were stool samples.It was a course of antibiotics and he is doing much better, still a little sensitive in the tummy.You used to hear about it in mountain streams out West mostly, but this was East Coast...so I think it is all over.K.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Had a nagging feeling I'd read a site which found a connection between irritable bowel syndrome and parasitic infection ... http://www.badbugs.org/parasite/irritable_bowel_syndrome.htm They claim the method of testing used by most doctors isn't effective enough to rule out parasites - and they have links to "clinics and labs use specific collection and testing methods to diagnose D.fragilis & Blasto. hominis". (click on "where to find help". Unfortunately the treatment page isn't active ! So no free advice for curing yourself of parasites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.