Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm planning my daughters 5th birthday party and I was hoping it wouldn't be this difficult but I can feel the stress tying me in knots. What do you guys use to relax. I try taking baths but unless I take them in the middle of the night I get interrupted. Help, I'm going insane!!!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't have kids myself, but my mom had me and my brother to deal with while juggling IBS and fybromyalgia. Her only relief was sending us off with our father. He liked tennis, biking, hiking, fishing... all stuff my mom didn't enjoy anyway. So she'd send us off with him. Those are also some of my favorite memories... I didn't realize Mom was "getting rid" of us, I was just thrilled to spend time with my dad because he worked 50-60 hours a week most weeks so Mom could stay home with us. So I never saw him as much as I would have liked. Cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends can also be called on for this purpose! Then you could take a bath and a nap or maybe even read a book or magazine without interuption.Good luck with the party, and don't try to overdo it. The 5 years olds I know are pretty easily impressed.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hi, you are just like me. I always stress out when I am having company, and also when I have to go someplace, like a party or wedding etc. The stress usually comes from worrying about how my IBS will be on the day of the event. Of course, worrying about it only guarantees me that I will feel "gross" and 99 times out of 100, I do. My stomach goes into knots also. I wish I had some good advice to offer you, but I don't. I have said many times, I am my own worst enemy, but I don't know how to turn off the worrying. If I knew that secret, I think my IBS would be cured...or at the very least a lot better. I was on Prozac for a while, long enough to give it a fair chance of working to calm me down, but it didn't help at all. I was on it for about 3 months, but it seemed to make my anxiety worse, so I weaned myself off it. Maybe you could try an herbal relaxant, like St. John's Wort? I know many people have had good results with it. Hopefully somebody else will be able to offer some advice.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 09-15-2000).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
This may not be the best suggestion, but I have a half of a glass of wine to calm down. My stomach can tolerate it because its only half a glass and its just enough to help me wind down as my kids are running around screaming at the top of their lungs. Luckily, I dont have to hit the booze too much!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts