Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chatting to my Mum recently about IBS. She said that most of my family on my Dad's side (including Dad) all have some form of stomach or intestinal problems. Dad has terrible D sometimes after eating and has certain foods he avoids but has never been to the Doctor about it. My Aunties all have a similar thing but all live overseas so I can't talk to them about it (hoping they get online!!!)Can IBS be passed down through generations?

G

·
Hi Lisa
Well, on the one hand, many of us on the board, including me, can trace intestinal problems back through the generations, and have family mambers with IBS ... on the other hand, as someone pointed out recently when this topic was discussed, given that 20% of the population are thought to have IBS to a greater or lesser degree, it isn't surprising that some families seem to get more than their fair share of sufferers!So I think at the moment the answer is - who knows!
Julie

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think there is definitely truth to genetics involved.But they only take you half of the way and make you more predisposed to a sensitive digestive tract.Ie the prescription drugs that caused my ibs were fine with other friends who went on them.I always had a semi-weak nervous system and digestive system as does my mum and grandfather I think. Although I know what made me really bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts