1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Stats:

Age - 28

Sex - Male

IBS type - D

Started Lotronex today at 8:30am. One 0.5mg tablet once a day and will adjust from there. So far no noticeable effects 3 hours later. I've read it can take some time for it to kick in.

Mods I posted this thread here so that people will see it as the prescription drug sub-section is slow.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update #1:

10/20 Day 1 4:25pm:

I am slightly constipated but at the same time my symptoms are worse. I can't go #2 but I have urgency and a lot of weird feelings in my gut area. Strange little tingles and such. I've gone 3 times since taking the Lotronex, but each time less and less stool came out. Summary, I do not like the way I feel at all. Will update again tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update #2:

10/21 Day 2 9:30am:

I have decided not to take Lotronex today or tomorrow and restart again on Wednesday. I have a date Tuesday night now and I don't want to feel awful for it like I did yesterday. However, I think I ate something yesterday that caused my problems because after I had a few BMs I felt much better. There was noticeable change in my stools from the Lotronex this morning. I still feel a bit "different" down there and a bit more sensitive if you will.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update #3

10/21 Day 2 9:52PM

Today I had one of the best days in recent memory. I went twice before work, and then twice at work, and that's it. I hardly had any gas all day which is a rarity. To top it off, I ate total garbage last night at the comedy club and had several drinks (gross cheeseburger with fries and chips with spinach dip). I am having "some" sensations of needing to go now, but still no gas. Also, no pains really to speak of. Usually I would have gone at least 3 more times given the timing of my first 4 BMs. I haven't gone since I don't even remember. Maybe 2:30pm? Will jump back on the Lotronex on Wednesday again and hopefully stay on.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update #4:

10/23 Day 4 10:23PM

So after a great day Monday, I was back to "normal" yesterday. And today I started Lotronex again. Well what do you know I've only gone a few times and the gas has increased again. It's interesting, I felt the Lotronex kick in after only 30ish minutes or so, which was my experience this past Sunday as well. However it doesn't "shut you down" like Imodium does. But at the same time, it doesn't have that awful bloating and making you pee a lot like Imodium. I only went twice this morning and didn't go again until after work! However it wasn't the most comfortable of days because of the gas. I TRIED to go at work and was having lots of gas, but never managed to actually poo. Since I've been off work I've gone twice with lots of gas in between and have tried to go again but to no avail. Onward to tomorrow!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Imodium makes you pee? I've never heard that one. I would stick with it for a bit, new medications can sometimes have temporary side effects while your body settles in and becomes accustomed to them. Are you only at .5 mg per day?
Yes 0.5mg, but I've only taken 2 pills. Quite a few people have the pee side-effect from Imodium actually.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update #5

10/24 Day 5 10:57PM

I awoke this morning with bad cramps so I decided not to take the Lotronex again today and just let it all out so to speak. Well I was right, it was a poo-storm and I'm still going. Slightly worse than normal I'd say. I'm planning on taking the Lotronex again Saturday and then "hopefully" I can stick it out every day after that. It's really really annoying that it makes me not be able to go easily but yet the poo still seems to move through me quickly. I deduce this is because when I take Imodium, I can really feel my bowel "lock up" and I don't normally get the gas that results from undigested food reaching my large intestine. However with the Lotronex, I feel totally normal except I can't poo, some of the urgency is gone, but I still have tons of gas.Which would normally be relieved by a poo! And when I poo, it's not any diffierent of a consistency than normal. Very frustrating. So as it stands I have too much work/obligations in the next two days to feel the way I did each day I've taken it so far.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update #6

10/27 4:36PM

I have taken another dose of Lotronex today 0.5mg, my third pill, only to see an increase of bad symptoms almost immediately again. This stuff works very quickly after you take it, I want to say within 15 minutes your urge to go will be gone. But I feel that it does not slow my gut transit, just the urgency really, and I am having tons of gas and need to go, but I can't! Eventually I get some stool out, but the gas returns shortly thereafter. I really want to keep taking it and see if I can get past this initial period.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Update #7

10/28 10:30PM

I believe I have been experiencing some weird side effects from the Lotronex. Each time I've taken it, I've started yawning within a few hours, become very tired, slightly depressed, and by night time I am very dizzy, so much so that I really need to lay down. I believe this is something to do with serotonin and I wonder if the medicine is crossing my blood brain barrier. I noticed this all 3 times I've taken it and the first time I chalked it up to anxiety, but it's become worse every time. Yesterday I literally felt very sick from the dizziness and was nauseous. I've never had these symptoms normally, so I believe it's the Lotronex.

To top it off, it's not really doing anything for my symptoms, and my IBS feels worse when I am taking it, despite the fact that I can't really even go #2 on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.