Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refuse to give up my search for an all-natural, non-laxative approach to IBS-C. I've been home with a cold, so yesterday I scoured the web for info on treatments. In several pediatric and geriatric web sites they recommend pear juice. Seems it is naturally high in sorbitol. I found 100% pure, non-sweetned pear juice by Knudsen at the grocery store and drank down a glass. Tastes great. An hour later I had D, which was actually welcome because I was so backed up for so many days. I also had been trying colace. Today, I cut the colace down to 2 capsules and drank 1/2 glass of pear juice. So far, no BM today (although that's not unusal after a total system clean out like yesterday). I'll let you know tomorrow's results. I also researched prune juice, which has never worked that well for me. Seems that prunes have a natural laxative substance (I can't recall the scientific, latin name)that contracts the colon. So, it's not a good idea to take prune juice for long periods of time. I also bought some Fiber Choice today, which may or may not work. I'll try a 1/2 tablet tonight. I posted something yesterday asking for people's experiences with Fiber Choice for C, and as is often the case, the responses were mixed. What works for some of us often has no effect or even negative effect for others. So, Fiber Choice could go either way for me. I wish I had more scientific discipline. Here I am trying all these new things at once: Colace, Fiber Choice, Pear Juice. It'll be hard to sort out which is working and which not. But, I get desprete to be rid of the C. And, of course, bloating is another issue. For about an hour after the D yesterday, I felt great. Flat stomache, could comfortably wear pants with a waist. But a few hours later, the bloat came back. Well, I'm off to listen to Mike's tapes. Take care, all.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A little twist on the pear juice is baked pears.I bake 3 at a time and have one a day with just a touch of maple syrup
. Yummy!!! It really seems to help me with my C and is easy to digest when baked.I bake 3 bosc pears at a time at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes and then slightly reheat each one on subsequent days.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I posted something the other day about other drinks besides water and herbal teas. I am also IBS-C.Thanks again.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nightirene,Hi I tried the pear juice treatment about 2 years ago and unfortunatley for me it did nothing. It worked wonders for a friend of mine but it eventually stopped working for her too. Definately worht a try what do you have to lose. The baked pears sound good too.Alison

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does baking the pears make them gas free? That sure would be nice.Also how long do you bake them and what degree?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Noreen,I bake the BOSC pears for 45 minutes at 350 degrees f. As far as the gas goes, I think it is better than raw pears, but you'll have to try.I only bake BOSC pears, they're the ones with the brown skin.[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 01-21-2001).]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you also tried Magnesium suppliments? They have helped a lot of people on the board - myself included. Lately I've been taking 300 mg before bed, plus my fiber choice in the morning and that seems to do the trick. I think the recommended daily amount of magnesium is around 400 (you should check with your doctor if you take anything higher).Do you have a specific time of day that you always go? I find with things like prune juice (similar to pear juice I think - both contains sorbitol, though prune juice has about twice as much (see my thread on fruits that are kind to the intestine if you want more info on sorbitol)) Sorry I'm getting off track... Anyhow I find with these types of things that work by drawing water into the bowel (magnesium included), it is best to take them just before your typical BM time of the day. For me that's in the morning, so I take them the night before and go well in the morning. If I take them at any other time of the day they won't do anything but cause some crazy stomach gurgling and maybe make me pass a bit of gas.These things take about 5 hours to get into my system - yours seem to be faster if it worked after an hour, so I'd recommend trying the pearjuice (or try magnesium if the pear juice gave you too much gas) an hour bfore your typical time to go and you should have better results.Hope you find something natural tthat works for you.Linda

1 - 7 of 7 Posts