Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, here's another concern:i just went into the alternative treatment bit of this website, and read that peppermint capsules are great BUT peppermint tea isn't a good idea and that it may make things worse!WHY?!!!i drink peppermint tea like it's going out of style and now i'm concerned that i may've been making th
ings worse for myself *argh*anyone? do you think i should give it a miss? problem is is helps with the nausea and gas...how frustrating is this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Sparkle,I can't imagine why anyone would say peppermint tea is bad for IBS. I drink it too. I also like one or two other herbal teas. Heather Van Vorus (our resident diet/nutrition person) also says it is good for IBS. Here is a quote from her book 'Eating for IBS' about peppermint tea:
quote: Peppermint is a smooth muscle relaxant, and can be very helpful in preventing/relieving IBS spasms. I consider it a wonder drug. Try drinking lots of strong, hot mint tea throughout the day. It's inexpensive to make your own with dried peppermint leaves from bulk spice counters at health food stores. You can also try peppermints such as Altoids. I swallow them whole with meals as I would a prescription anti- spasmodic pill. You may wish to try Colpermin, a brand of enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules, which are not available in the US but can ordered from the UK (see Directory of Resources). They're perfectly legal and do not require a prescription. The directions state to take the capsules between meals but most IBS sufferers I've received feedback from have had better luck when they take them right before eating. However, be careful if you have GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) or suffer from heartburn as mint in any form can worsen these symptoms.
The only thing I can think is maybe it is not recommended if you have GERD as well as IBS. Too much peppermint is not good if you have GERD. (which I do, but I only have 1 - 2 cups of peppermint tea a day and have no problem re the GERD).I would also say if it helps you, keep having it.I would also be interested to see what others think.Hope that helps some, there sure can be a lot of confusing information out there!Cheers.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
If peppermint is Okay for the capsuel than it is probaly even safer as a tea.That's the reality of the herb.Even though Peppermint is an herb used to cool down the body system, it lends it self well to the heating process.If you can take peppermint at all the teas should be just fine because it will be weaker and the warmth of the beverage is good for the innards.Try it. If it works fine.If not you won't be too bad off for the ware just from one cup.You know, like most herbs or anything else in life, too much of a good thing is neer a good idea.So I think a lot of problems people have with herbs and oils is that they simply overdose themselves.Every thing has a limit and a right dosage.Kamie

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think this could be a something like the following.Expensive enteric coated capsules in theory deliver the peppermint only, or at least mostly to the colon.Cheap tea may deliver more peppermint to the stomach and that can relax the sphincter and cause heartburn.Now given that at least some people with GERD seem to have problems with enteric coated peppermint I think it gets into the blood stream well enough that it really doesn't make that much of a difference.But if you want to sell expensive capsules rather then tea (and heaven forbid people grow their own peppermint and make really cheap tea out of it
) then you would tend to make a lot of claims about how much better the capsules would be.K <but I am cynical
>

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*hehe* yup, i did indeed sit and relax...with another mug of the green tea x thanks everyone - i guess it's just easy to get in a twist with all the conflicting info and treatment out there!Camomile's okay, but it relaxes me a little too much...zzzi really appreciate the references you guys dug out for me too xtake care xXx

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I wouldn't think peppermint would interfere with antacids. Aren't some of them peppermint flavored to begin with? And since Peppermint is one of the less expensive essential oils in bulk manufactureres might just be using a food grade peppermint oil for the product. You might want to check labeling.However, peppermint will negate a homeopathic treatment whether it is a cup of peppermint tea or even just one of those after dinner mints.I would think that peppermint body products would counter the homeopathic remedies too.As with most of the stronger esential oils peppermint is contraindicated for the first 3 months of pregnancy.Also, if there is the gall bladder or the liver involved in a medical problem then peppermint is contraindicated too. since Peppermint stimulates the heart people with cardiac problems and high BP want to be selective about their peppermint intake.Kamie

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
It was thought that I had GERD at one time, however, since we finally got to the root of my intestinal problems, we found that the GERD symptoms went away when we addressed the condition of my colon and all that was connected with that part of the anatomy.kamie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I found out it is not for me. I picked some up at Trader Joe's today and just had a cup. Within 30 min. I have terrible gas (burps), chest pain and now anexiety. Darn. Guess I have more Gerd than IBS. This is awful. Tried some gaviscon tabs - not much relief. Chamomille (sp) tea doesn't do this to me. Oh well live and learn.
Jerry

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Well, I would guess then that would be the definitive test.What a way to figure it out.You'd think they could invent somethingmore simple.Well thank goodness you get relief with Chamomile.every little bit helpsKamie

·
Registered
134 Posts
Peppermint Tea. Don't forget the TEA part. Most teas have caffeine in them which is a known IBS D trigger. So you may be ingesting the good with the bad. Of course, there are decaffeinated Peppermint teas which you can easily buy make sure you try decaffeinated before you give up on the idea.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
If you make a Black/or Green Tea that has some peppermint along with Black or Green Tea, then caffine is going to enter into the chemical components.if you use the bulk herb of peppermint, or the fresh leaves from your own garden, then the structure of Peppermint does not contain caffine so one would not suffer the ill effects of a already prone to caffine sensitivity.Not all tea is based in a black tea filler.Many "teas" are a single plant beverage.Kamie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.